Author Topic: Amoy China 1841.Jones  (Read 669 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Amoy China 1841.Jones
« on: Friday 26 June 20 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have asked this before sometime ago , I have a newspaper report my relation Fanny Jones was in Amoy in 1840 . BUT  I have also found her in London at her address in Glouster Terrace in the 1841 census .The census was June 6 th 1841 .
There was a large battle in Amoy in late August 1841 . So one could surmise she arrived in Amoy if the British could settle there sometime in 1841/42 . She definitely was in Hong Kong in 1851 .
I am looking for any shipping lists that have her name and any explanation of her reason for going to China . She may well have been a governess as she was educated but not wealthy . She may have been in a religious situation as she was baptised as an 22 year old in 1839 , . The newspaper report advises their readers as her being the longest time white woman resident in China . She died as Fanny Clifton (Late  husband Samuel Clifton )  in Jan 1905 in Shanghai . Any shipping reports or further paper reports would be fantastic , thank you to anyone who has helped before .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amoy China 1841.Jones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
The Board of Trade didn't keep passenger records before 1890.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)