Author Topic: Patrick & Elizabeth (Collins) Fogarty, Arrival in Australia?  (Read 597 times)

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick & Elizabeth (Collins) Fogarty, Arrival in Australia?
« on: Friday 26 June 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
IRELAND
I am looking to find the arrival port in Australia for husband and wife, Patrick Fogarty and Elizabeth Collins.
Patrick was born in Rossmore, Tipperary in 1829 with Elizabeth born Drumbawn, Tipperary in 1931.
They married at Clonoulty, Tipperary 20th September 1854.

AUSTRALIA
They next pop up down in the western district of Victoria, living near Tower Hill (Koroit) when they baptise their first-born (Mary Fogarty, born 3/8/1855) on 10/02/1856 at St Patrick’s Church Port Fairy. I believe the birth took place in / around Tower Hill rather than onboard or in Ireland.

WHICH PORT?
Victorian Shipping Records, see a 28 year old Patrick Fogarty (Ireland/Irish) arriving on ‘The Shalimar’, February 1855. There is no record of an Elizabeth, neither Fogarty nor Collins. There is a 28 year old John Collins (England/English) onboard.
On the ship Glenmanna, which also arrived February 1855, it lists a Fogarty but with no first name at all. It also has a Patrick Foggerty (an unusual spelling) who is listed as an Irish Adult. It seems that no ages have been recorded to the computer for this particular voyage. Once again, there is no listed Collins, let alone Liz / Eliz / Elis… recorded on the Glenmanna.
There are two post-trip mentions of a Fogarty / Glenmanna – one in The Age and one in The Argus. They are in March 1855, and relate to the same situation.
Apparently, provisions on the ship, Glenmanna, must have been a little ‘light on’ during the voyage. Passengers were offered a partial refund and Fogarty put his hand up to be a go-between – to fetch the money, and get a commission. There was a dispute and Fogarty found himself before the court on false pretences charges.
I thought perhaps the unnamed Fogarty may be Elizabeth, while the Foggerty could be a wild misspelling! But when I read the Argus report, it said that Fogarty was elderly!

It may be that one of the Fogartys on either the Shalimar or Glenmanna was my Patrick and that his wife came to Australia a little later.  Or they came together, but landed in a port outside Victoria but then made their way to the western district of Victoria, via say Portland or Geelong, (from another Australian port) or simply overland?
Any thoughts. I haven’t checked any other States’ Passenger lists. Nor, have I checked the original fiche for the above voyages.
I’ve added a few attachments.
BB

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Fogarty & Elizabeth Collins
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 08:01 BST (UK) »
Edit: Elizabeth born 1831, not 1931. Ooops.

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick & Elizabeth (nee COLLINS) FOGARTY, Arrival in Australia?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
IRELAND
I am looking to find the arrival port in Australia for husband and wife, Patrick Fogarty and Elizabeth Collins.
Patrick was born in Rossmore, Tipperary in 1829 with Elizabeth born Drumbawn, Tipperary in 1831.
They married at Clonoulty, Tipperary 20th September 1854.

AUSTRALIA
They next pop up down in the western district of Victoria, living near Tower Hill (Koroit) when they baptise their first-born (Mary Fogarty, born 3/8/1855) on 10/02/1856 at St Patrick’s Church Port Fairy. I believe the birth took place in / around Tower Hill rather than onboard or in Ireland.

WHICH PORT?
Victorian Shipping Records, see a 28 year old Patrick Fogarty (Ireland/Irish) arriving on ‘The Shalimar’, February 1855. There is no record of an Elizabeth, neither Fogarty nor Collins. There is a 28 year old John Collins (England/English) onboard.
On the ship Glenmanna, which also arrived February 1855, it lists a Fogarty but with no first name at all. It also has a Patrick Foggerty (an unusual spelling) who is listed as an Irish Adult. It seems that no ages have been recorded to the computer for this particular voyage. Once again, there is no listed Collins, let alone Liz / Eliz / Elis… recorded on the Glenmanna.
There are two post-trip mentions of a Fogarty / Glenmanna – one in The Age and one in The Argus. They are in March 1855, and relate to the same situation.
Apparently, provisions on the ship, Glenmanna, must have been a little ‘light on’ during the voyage. Passengers were offered a partial refund and Fogarty put his hand up to be a go-between – to fetch the money, and get a commission. There was a dispute and Fogarty found himself before the court on false pretences charges.
I thought perhaps the unnamed Fogarty may be Elizabeth, while the Foggerty could be a wild misspelling! But when I read the Argus report, it said that Fogarty was elderly!

It may be that one of the Fogartys on either the Shalimar or Glenmanna was my Patrick and that his wife came to Australia a little later.  Or they came together, but landed in a port outside Victoria but then made their way to the western district of Victoria, via say Portland or Geelong, (from another Australian port) or simply overland?
Any thoughts. I haven’t checked any other States’ Passenger lists. Nor, have I checked the original fiche for the above voyages.
I’ve added a few attachments.
BB

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick & Elizabeth (Collins) Fogarty, Arrival in Australia?
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am wondering if the snip you attached  with the index info for pages 13 and 8 would be for the one passenger.  I am wondering if page 8 is the main list of passengers and page 13 is simply the Mess list, which probably only needed a surname  and if so it may have been given verbally, thus the catering officer may have used the usual spelling as Fogarty .  The snip is likely to be alpha by surname.

I wonder though about the elderly man who volunteered to collect the fare refunds .... was he an actual paying passenger on that voyage or perhaps an employee of the local agent ?  The chap on those false pretence charges was found NOT guilty. 

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick & Elizabeth (Collins) Fogarty, Arrival in Australia?
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 20 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for giving this your consideration. Recently I found out that their first born, arrived in Portland, Victoria and will follow through that lead. Given that they settled in the Woodford / Yangery area, I think I can safely dismiss the Glenmanna and the Shalimar. BB