Author Topic: Bug and Virus  (Read 1655 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bug and Virus
« on: Friday 26 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
more or less been isolated for 3 months - apart from daily visit to the shop - a walk - and taking delivery of shopping from kind neighbour - live alone.

yet have had a nasty viral ?? infection (not covid - been tested.)

now am struggling with headache and feeling of general unwellness - could be linked to virus I guess - but how do you get these bugs when you're isloated - or are they present in the immune system all the time and just appear when they feel like it?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bug and Virus!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
The hot weather doesn't help does it  :(

You may have picked it up on your daily shop visit or your kind neighbour unwittingly passed something on - is he or she feeling ok? 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
Possibly, having been in isolation, your immunity/resistance to bugs has diminished.  Therefore, you may have picked up something on your visit to the shop or from the shopping your neighbour has given you which ordinarily your body would fight off without you even realising it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, that all sounds quite possible.... do hope you are feeling better again Zetlander.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
Possibly, having been in isolation, your immunity/resistance to bugs has diminished.  Therefore, you may have picked up something on your visit to the shop or from the shopping your neighbour has given you which ordinarily your body would fight off without you even realising it!

from The Telegraph
Lockdown and social distancing could make our immune system weaker, says scientist
People are not exposed to germs and so do not develop defences that could protect them against future pandemics, Oxford epidemiologist warns

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 20 08:17 BST (UK) »
Been looking for articles about the immune system and found one on boosting the immune system naturally ...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system

The article basically suggested:-
"Don't smoke.
Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
Exercise Regularly.
Maintain a healthy weight.
If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
Get adequate sleep.
Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
Try to minimize stress.
"

There must be something in this because I recall working under high levels of stress which also made me unable to sleep fully, also being up early and visiting numerous occupied family addresses, I was forever catching nasty cold viruses.

Interesting we are being advised about most of those points in relation to Covid-19 and to socially distance.

Mark

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bug and Virus
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
Brilliant article that, Mark, just about sums it up clearly and concisely in plain language.

It was especially interesting to me as my immune system is being guided by comparatively new technology and supports the oncologists down to earth views on my treatment.

Thanks for posting it.

Mike

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 September 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
  I heard a scientist on the radio a few days ago, who said that the disease seems to have been less lethal in tropical countries, and it was suspected that humidity played a part. He suggested that, to keep the mucous membranes healthy we should try to raise the humidity in our homes during the winter, even if it meant hanging up wet towels at night.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
  I heard a scientist on the radio a few days ago, who said that the disease seems to have been less lethal in tropical countries, and it was suspected that humidity played a part. He suggested that, to keep the mucous membranes healthy we should try to raise the humidity in our homes during the winter, even if it meant hanging up wet towels at night.

Perhaps we should try steaming our face over a bowl of hot water, does wonders for the complexion so I’m told.

Kill two birds with one stone  ;D ;D

Mike