Author Topic: Bug and Virus  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bug and Virus
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
  I heard a scientist on the radio a few days ago, who said that the disease seems to have been less lethal in tropical countries, and it was suspected that humidity played a part. He suggested that, to keep the mucous membranes healthy we should try to raise the humidity in our homes during the winter, even if it meant hanging up wet towels at night.

Perhaps we should try steaming our face over a bowl of hot water, does wonders for the complexion so Iím told.

Kill two birds with one stone  ;D ;D

Mike
A bowl of steaming water with Friar's Balsam was one of my mother's remedies for congestion.
The scientist suggested boiling a kettle. The interview may have been on "Inside Science" Thursdays, Radio 4. His research hasn't been peer-reviewed, if I remember correctly.
Adam Rutherford, regular presenter of "Inside Science", caught Covid-19 in March. It's taken him 6 months to recover. He's made a programme about "long Covid".
I'm also concerned that isolation may have lowered my immune system and that when normality resumes I'll be felled by a mere cold. On the other hand, if the general population follow guidelines, there should be fewer bugs around.
Cowban

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma's 1920 School Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
Britain / UK in Winter won't be tropical, more like cold, damp and wet.

Some English Scientists (who don't yet fully know) think that our UK Winter might be ideal conditions for Covid, in view of past Winter colds and influenza outbreaks. We'll know more next year.
 ----------
Introducing moisture inside might cause condensation and then Black Mould to form on walls & ceilings (some mould is toxic) and Black, Orange / Pinkish mould on window frames in some houses.
 ----------
Regarding hot vapours, these are far too dangerous for some to use, because once Lockdown started Hospitals saw some presenting with nasal and facial burns according to our local news.

British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
Burns Surgery 18 June 2020 - BAPRAS pdf
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjiyffQy4nsAhURT8AKHYJZCj8QFjABegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bapras.org.uk%2Fdocs%2Fdefault-source%2Fcovid-19-docs%2Fburns-surgery

Mark

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Of course, here in the U.K., we always have "bugs", usually unidentified, "going round" during the winter. Hence lots of people who, when feeling under the weather during the winter, generally say that they have "this bug that's going round".
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
If someone has suffered cold sores,caused by a virus, these can recur .
If someone is run down etc or has another cold,they will flare up again .
So that suggests the virus never really goes away,just lurks and waits for our immune system to be less efficient .

.Hope all of you who have been under the weather soon feel better.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Adam Rutherford, regular presenter of "Inside Science", caught Covid-19 in March. It's taken him 6 months to recover. He's made a programme about "long Covid".
"Long Covid" Radio 4, Thursday 29th Sept. 11 a.m.
Cowban

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 September 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that will be interesting and informative.
Viktoria.