Author Topic: Broken Trees in Heraldry  (Read 7715 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Broken Trees in Heraldry
« on: Friday 26 June 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
I'm interested to know precisely what a broken oak tree means in heraldry. By 'broken' I mean with the top cut - see attached. I have read somewhere that it indicates an early death, but would like confirmation. Also, what does an eradicated tree (roots exposed)  indicate? 
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Trees in Heraldry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 20 05:39 BST (UK) »
Most heraldic symbols do not have specific meanings in the general sense, although they may have when used for a specific family. I found a reference to Ives of Belton, in Norfolk, where a monument shows the family arms together with a broken oak indicating an early death, however the oak is not part of the arms but a (non-heraldic) symbol added to the monument.
I doubt if a family would adopt a "broken tree" symbol purely on the grounds that one of the family heads died young !
Can you advise the name of the family with the "broken tree" charge so we can explore this a bit more ?

Trees "erased" seem quite common but again have no specific meaning. Some may be a play on the surname, although not always obvious as both names and terminology may have changed over the centuries. Others may refer to some act or possession of the original armiger. Others may be simply because the designer thought they looked nice !

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 20 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maec,
I'm not asking the question re any particular  surname, just that I've seen several examples over the years & am curious. I've seen a number of examples featuring broken lances and gather that signifies peace, which seems quite logical.
Cheers,
Bob

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
I've not come across broken trees or spears in Heraldry?
Can you give some examples, please.

Unless these symbols are on the actual achievement, then it's not heraldry, but rather art.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
The attached is Armstrong of Mangerton, featured in Stodart Vol 1. This may well represent the death/removal of the last Armstrong laird.
William Berry's 'Complete Dictionary of Heraldry' Vol 2 mentions a number of examples of broken lances & spears.
Cheers,
Bob
PS I should add that some myths have been spun around this particular tree symbol by Victorian-era researchers, but these have been discredited.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Broken lances or spears ?
Scot of Whiteislaid : "in chief a broken lance gules"
Chapman : "A dexter arm in armour couped above the wrist Proper holding a broken lance and a laurel Proper"
Gislingham : "A cubit arm in mail garnished Or holding in the gauntlet of plate Argent two halves of a broken tilting spear etc"

And, of course, the family Breakspear !
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
Burke's General Armory has:

Armstrong (Bart. of Gallen Priory, Kings County)
Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. issuing from the sinister side a dexter arm habited gu. the hand grasping the trunk of an oak tree eradicated and broken at the top ppr. ; 2nd and 3rd, ar. three pallets az. Crest—An armed arm embowed, the hand grasping the broken trunk of an oak tree eradicated all ppr.
Motto—Invictus maneo.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Fortunately we have all the arms in our Armstrong Clan Association archives. Luckily, we've managed to get a number of the families to Y-DNA test which is a great asset to our research efforts. Most of the arms & shields from the 16th century onwards feature similar symbols. Unlike the mythology, the tree symbols probably stem back to the first Armstrongs who were 13th C verderers. I have copies of their records taken from the Lanercost & Wetheral Cartularies. King's pardons were issued to some when they were accused of murder - either in their role as verderers, or their jousting habit.