Author Topic: Zebulon Harling, Madras, India - 1830s/40s  (Read 487 times)

Offline EHarling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zebulon Harling, Madras, India - 1830s/40s
« on: Saturday 27 June 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
I'm currently researching my ancestor Zebulon Harling, born in Warlingham, Surrey in 1809, son of Thomas Harling. I am having trouble finding the identity of his wife, who he married and had a child with while serving in the army in Madras, India. I was wondering if anyone could help me find her?

Zebulon Harling traveled to India some time after 1832 (when he was discharged from Fleet Prison). On 10th Jan 1838, he married Elizabeth Death in Madras, India. On 18th October his son Joseph Zebulon (later Joseph Alfred) Harling was born and baptised at St Thomas Mount, Madras. In 1842, he took part in the China Campaign as Brigade Searjeant in the Madras Artillery. In 1842, Elizabeth died in Madras and is buried at St Thomas Mount. By November 1849, Zebulon has come back to England and re-married Ann Marchington in Kennington.

Elizabeth was a widow when she married Zebulon Harling, so Death must have been her married name with her previous husband. I can't find her maiden name anywhere and so can't find out anything about her. I also can't find her marriage to her first husband and don't know if it was in England or in India, or who the identity of her first husband (Mr Death) is. According to her death register, she was born around 1810.

Another mystery is that a William Harling is baptised at St Thomas Mount on 19th December 1838 to Zebulon and Elizabeth Harling. However, according to the record he was born on 17th November 1831 - before Zebulon was in India and presumably while Elizabeth was with her first husband. Could William actually be the child of Elizabeth and her first husband? Or is it just a mistake?

If anyone could give me any pointers as to where I could go from here to find out more about Elizabeth, I'd be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any idea how I could find out more about Zebulon's time in the army in Madras, I'd love to know, as I can't find out much about his time there or service.

Thanks! Ellen Harling

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Zebulon Harling, Madras, India - 1830s/40s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts:
Have you seen the original baptism record from 1838? Perhaps a 7 could be mistaken for a 1, making William born just before his parents' marriage and baptised afterwards.

There was a Jeremiah Death who died in 1837:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGPR-MXD
Also found having some children with an Elizabeth:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGPR-S9Z
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG6Y-RBH

The location and timing make it quite likely that this is your Elizabeth.

For Madras army records see:
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Madras_Army
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
And a possible Marriage;
22 May 1831
St John the Baptist, London, England
Jeremiah DEATH to Elizabeth ADAMS
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Duplicated thread (and duplicated research) ! https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833480
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
How annoying!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline EHarling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
I posted in both boards as I thought there may be people with different research interests in both boards, meaning I would be able to gather more information. I didn't realise the same people would reply in both boards, apologies.