Author Topic: Death certificates  (Read 579 times)

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificates
« on: Saturday 27 June 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to let me know if an american death certificate shows the parents name of the deceased person?  If so where could I obtain a copy of a death certificate from 1880?

Regards

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
In the US, death certificates are held by the state or other locality and what you will find on them depends on the location/time frame.  Where are you looking? 

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm if David McCulloch (born Scotland 8/10/1823 emigrated to America married a Susanna/Susan Franklin 22/03/1848, died about 1880 in Broad Run, Loudoun County, Ipswich, USA), was an ancestor.

My David McCulloch's parents were Thomas McCulloch and Elizabeth Gray.

Regards

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
a tree at ancestry says that man was born about 1821 in Ayrshire, Scotland, and his parents were John Franklin McCullock and Elizabeth ___. But no sources for this information. Still if you find a man in the Scottish records who matches these parents, then you can eliminate him as your David McC.

That man is alive in 1880:
1880 Census, Broad Run, Loudoun County, VA

David McCullock, 59, no occupation, health: paralysis, born in Scotland, parents also
Susan E, 51, born in New York, parents also
James 29, single, a carpenter, born in NY
Flora V, 23, born in Virginia
William F, 14, born in Virginia

Just based on the sources in that tree:
In 1850 David, Susan, and a daughter Mary were with an Elizabeth McCulloch in Delaware County, New York.

In 1860, mother Elizabeth, David, Susan, Mary, age 11, James, 9, Sarah E 7, and Flora V, 5 are in Gilford Station, Loudoun County VA

Maybe that is enough information to confirm or rule out this man as your ancestor. If the only thing that doesn't match is his father's name(s), then you still have more work to do to figure it out one way or the other.

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
I have been investigating the discoveries you listed, but could not confirm whether he is my David McCulloch.  I though if |i could get a copy of the death certificate it would rule him in or out.

I have looked for a marriage for a John  Franklin McCulloch to an Elizabeth, but could not find anything!

Would I be able to get  a death certificate for David in Loudon County?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
Would I be able to get  a death certificate for David in Loudon County?

It doesn't look like you can. From the county's site:
"Note: There are no birth registers before 1853, or between 1880 and 1912. There are no death registers before 1853, or between 1867 and 1912."

https://www.loudoun.gov/2171/Historic-Records-Indexes

The Virginia site only talks about records after 1912.
 https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/vital-records/

If it is any consolation, it probably would not have given his parents' names.

Someone on this site might be able to tell you if there is a cemetery listing for this David. I couldn't figure out if the database is on line or not:
https://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docId=tbl/viletbl00026.xml

-------------
-------------
I thought I'd try to find this David in Delaware County, NY, hoping to find his parents, but wasn't successful.
He married there, as you seem to have found, various dates in March 1848, by Rev E Wescott.
https://www.dcnyhistory.org/oldnewsidx/kitty3.html

On the same page as David and his mother in 1850 is a James McCulloch, born about 1808 in Scotland, wife's name is Phebe. A tree says his parents were John McCulloch and Janet Bennett, no source given. Are James and David brothers?

In 1840 James is the head of a household in Delhi. In the household is a male 15 to 19, a male 30 to 39, and a female 70 to 79. The older male is presumably James, but is the younger one David? Still the female's age doesn't match David's mother Elizabeth, who seems to have been born about 1790, so maybe David and James aren't brothers, and the female is "Janet Bennett" after all.

The two men started naturalization proceedings in Delaware County, but David only filed a declaration of intention there. An explanation of some of the letters and numbers is on the page:
McCullock Davie ng 1847-02-22 DOI Delhi 2726
McCullock James 29 1838-09-27 1831 Greenock Scotland Delhi 1355 

https://www.dcnyhistory.org/nat2.html

David was naturalized by the 1870 census in Loudoun County, so he might have completed the process in Virginia. - But it isn't going to tell you his parents' names.

The only hope I can see is to find a county history of Loudoun Co or Delaware County and hope it mentions the McCullochs. Or a family history of them or the wife's side. I tried Googling for those sources, but didn't try very hard. They might be out there.

-----
Do you have anything that puts your David McCulloch in Loudoun County VA in that time frame? There was only one on the records, as far as I could see.