Author Topic: George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861  (Read 584 times)

Offline dutch missmarple

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861
« on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

looking for George Willson
Bapt. 1829 Bearsted Kent.
son of Thomas and Charlotte

occupation census 1871 (Plymouth, Devon): Gunner Royal Art.

died before 12 August 1876. Daughter Rhoda Sarah got married that day, father mentioned as being George Wilson, soldier, deceased.

Census 1861 shows wife Ellen and children living in Higham Kent, but no George.
So where was he at that time ?

What I'm looking for....
where was he census 1841, 1851 and 1861 ?
where was he in 1863 ? Daughter Charlotte was born in about 1863 in Madras West Indies
The other children where all born in England

When and where did he die ? obviously between 1871 and 1876. couldn't find him on Free BMD

Also important to me: did Thomas and Charlotte have any more children ?

thank you !

Dutch Missmarple

Wilson: Writtle Essex, Shorne Kent.
Windley: Woodford Essex, Chigwell Essex, Blackmore Essex.
Halls: Chigwell and Woodford, Essex
Ambrose and Corteling: Sri Lanka

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Willson (Wilson) census lookup please 1841 to 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Miss Marple -- there is an Army Record for a George Wilson, who was born in Kent and who enlisted in 1847 and was discharged in 1870.

During this time he served in the East Indies for, I think, 14 yrs and 5 mths. This MAY be your George. His Army record is on Find My Past if you have access.

It would explain his absence from some census records.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline dutch missmarple

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

that could be him !
unfortunately I don't have a subsription to Find My past  :-[

But, if he was in the East Indies for that period of time, was he allowed to go home now and then?
I mean, he did father 3 children who were born in England. the youngest one was born in Madras, so his wife would have been with him.
Not sure if the oldest daughter Rhoda Sarah was his though. She was born in 1856 and they didn't get married until 1858. Besides, Rhoda's father is stated as being Thomas (?????). Maybe George's brother....., but that's another mystery all together...

DMM
Wilson: Writtle Essex, Shorne Kent.
Windley: Woodford Essex, Chigwell Essex, Blackmore Essex.
Halls: Chigwell and Woodford, Essex
Ambrose and Corteling: Sri Lanka

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
I can't see his periods of leave listed unfortunately. However he has given an address on discharge as 7, Albion Place, Dover and his occupation as Sail Maker if that helps.

His age on entry to the Army in 1847 is 18 (that's what it looks like!) HOWEVER - the record shows him to be born near the parish of Dover - so it may not be the correct George.
Places of interest;

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
I see the Dover 'George' on Family Search's page ... the link I posted above.  There are a few other George Wilsons but you should be able to close in on the right one with parents details, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 June 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
You also asked about other children born to Thomas and Charlotte -- I can't immediately see any in Kent.

In 1841 there is a 12 year old George Wilson (census was taken in June that year) -- living with a Wayman family. The Head of the house is John Wayman a Mariner, aged 55 (age will be rounded down to nearest 5 years for those over 15 on the 1841 census).

Address - Chapel Place, Dover. I'm just wondering if George's parents died.

Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Wilson had married a Charlotte Luckhurst (that's what it looks like!) at Little Chart, St Mary on 9 Sept 1827.

I am not familiar with Kent - so I am not sure if this is a feasible location for these 2 to be George's parents.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 June 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
I am really struggling to find the parents of George Wilson -- ie Thomas and Charlotte - in 1841.

The soldier's record on Find My Past isn't conclusive, except he is the correct age, has the right name and a location of Kent. The George living with the family in Dover in 1841, might also be the soldier - but also might be the same George!

Can anyone else find Thomas and Charlotte Wilson in 1841 please, preferably with a son George.
Places of interest;