Author Topic: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals  (Read 3150 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 July 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
No i live in Norfolk so 200 miles from Dorset.

I am thinking DNA will be a tool, seeing as it is very hard to find Sarah's origins. If ever I was given a choice to ask 1 ancestor where they were born I would ask Sarah. She died in Feb 1851, just weeks prior to the 1851 census.

Now thatís even more frustrating! Then donít make it easy do they! If you do the DNA and get somewhere I would love to know the outcome myself! If I get time in the next few weeks Iíll have a look myself
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 July 21 05:11 BST (UK) »
Re reply 19

I have my first official commissioned PAID research have been paid in :computer lessons .gifts such as a tablet & a stamp collection
 chauffeur service chores. & goodwill .

Already manage close familys dna results mother aunt cousin

But also a dna matched war baby

+ In a career write up they can be clients on my books

Because for payments on this kind of longterm research i think an initial payment to set up a tree /discuss what areas to search / help understand dna results ( including what might NOT be found )

LUMP sum for INTENSIVE (including DNA match analysis IF required)
followed by RETAINING fee so i can check MONTHLY  and REPORT any new documents or dna matches
Depending on how much client can discover on  their own .

Job centre allows me to earn £500 per month before benefits are effected.

I think if i go over i.ll come off benefits as long as i can stay on housing list

Id rather  CONSULT than start a BUSINESS

I have an APPRENTICE
 "researcher/PA/COMPUTER person
To  distant help me .

Ive helped make them a mini family tree For  grandparents in care home  to give aunts + uncles for Christmas.

They can add photos and pics of houses/ jobs /churches /art.

The aim is to get closer to cousins and maybe understand family traits + behaviour.+ History

Discovering a carpenter .a gardener + an artist  is already a thrill as
They are interested in gardening and mother is a sculptor/artist.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 July 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Great news that you have your first paid assignment, but never having been paid myself for any research, other than "in kind", it's always difficult to know what a "fair and reasonable" price should be, especially if you are doing this as a full-time job. i am sure that with a bit of research on the pricing structure you will come to a sensible rate worthy of the input and work involved,

Good luck with your new venture I am sure that you succeed.

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 July 21 12:19 BST (UK) »

I am thinking DNA will be a tool, seeing as it is very hard to find Sarah's origins. If ever I was given a choice to ask 1 ancestor where they were born I would ask Sarah. She died in Feb 1851, just weeks prior to the 1851 census.

Now thatís even more frustrating! Then donít make it easy do they! If you do the DNA and get somewhere I would love to know the outcome myself! If I get time in the next few weeks Iíll have a look myself

Thanks for the kind offer. It is nice to chat to someone about a certain genealogy brickwall. Sarah is one of my huge genealogy goals.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 July 21 13:06 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the kind offer. It is nice to chat to someone about a certain genealogy brickwall. Sarah is one of my huge genealogy goals.

I am not sure that I will find anything but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes.....

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:23 BST (UK) »

dm me your email address and I will see what I can find, found an entry on my heritage that is a bot conflicting.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:35 BST (UK) »

dm me your email address and I will see what I can find, found an entry on my heritage that is a bot conflicting.

Done so. I may PM you with info on Sarah's 2nd husband James Bradford so we can discuss him, as I cannot seem to find what happened to him inbetween 1835 and 1841, save cluttering up this thread with this query.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 18 July 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Yep no worries

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 July 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks chidficks for a ll your supportive comments .may stick to being paid in kind for a bit
And let my client pay ancestry renewal instead
A habe found myself an assistant who wants to do gis family tree .so we can work in collusion he can get a ftmree months subs to another site once ivebstarted him off .

Also taked to Salvation army today
Going to be put in touch with tneir search snd trace department
That would be a good place to volunteer especially if someone nneeds help with tracing using  dna

Coombs id be happy to help you thru quagmire of understanding results
Ive had so much help in other fields on here

Time travel detective is now a real proffession so please spread use of the term .

I.ll be running workshops about identifying british stamps .doing Edwardian photosoots dressing as ancestors & continuing with time travel stories and comedy
I think there will be a recording of August gigs
Anyone KNOW. Any future TTD S  please get in touch.how we can skill share .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson