Author Topic: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals  (Read 4609 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals
« on: Sunday 28 June 20 05:37 BST (UK) »
My half yearly report, so how did I do???

​​​​​​​https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020/06/28/my-half-yearly-report-how-did-i-do/
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

guest189040

Re: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting.

Pleased that what you are doing works for you, I can certainly see that an organised logical flow to the research has benefitted yourself.

I applied a more logical process to my own DNA hints and have expanded my tree considerably to include all those that Ancestry has hinted as having a Common Ancestor, except for one.  I have had zero success where no trees have been produced and zi have adopted the mantra, if they cannot be bothered to research their own family then I am not going to waste my time searching for them.

Research does throw curveballs and plans then go out the window and a new line of research opens up, this has certainly happened to me.

Anyway, it was good to read your write up.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Interesting.

Pleased that what you are doing works for you, I can certainly see that an organised logical flow to the research has benefitted yourself.

I applied a more logical process to my own DNA hints and have expanded my tree considerably to include all those that Ancestry has hinted as having a Common Ancestor, except for one.  I have had zero success where no trees have been produced and zi have adopted the mantra, if they cannot be bothered to research their own family then I am not going to waste my time searching for them.

Research does throw curveballs and plans then go out the window and a new line of research opens up, this has certainly happened to me.

Anyway, it was good to read your write up.

Thanks Biggles, although Ancestry provides lots of helpful tools such as Thrulines a chromosome browser would be handy. Do you use DNA painter?

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I use DNA Painter but have not got as far as uploading my DNA to any other matching site.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
I found my heritage really helpful lots of good matches, but found ftdna and gedmatch nowhere as good, but I guess it’s just where your matches upload

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
I am yet to be bitten by the DNA bug. I like to stick to paper trails.

An ancestor of interest is Marie Cartwright born c1585. She wed my ancestor Sir Stephen Borde in 1605 in St Dunstan in the West, London. She died in 1667 in Westminster and is buried at St Margaret. I have got back on Stephen's ancestry quite a way but Marie is proving more difficult. She may have had a brother or father called John Cartwright, gent. I am sure if she married a barrister and a knight, she may have been from a well to do family herself.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am yet to be bitten by the DNA bug. I like to stick to paper trails.

An ancestor of interest is Marie Cartwright born c1585. She wed my ancestor Sir Stephen Borde in 1605 in St Dunstan in the West, London. She died in 1667 in Westminster and is buried at St Margaret. I have got back on Stephen's ancestry quite a way but Marie is proving more difficult. She may have had a brother or father called John Cartwright, gent. I am sure if she married a barrister and a knight, she may have been from a well to do family herself.

DNA can help with more modern conundrums but much past 300 years and you are stretching the limits. It can definitely solve mysteries and puzzles that a paper trail can’t

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Very lmpressive + beautifully written .
Congratulations you are an inspiration .ps happy birthday
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind words and birthday wishes it’s very much appreciated

Very lmpressive + beautifully written .
Congratulations you are an inspiration .ps happy birthday