Author Topic: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals  (Read 4630 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 July 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks chidficks for a ll your supportive comments .may stick to being paid in kind for a bit
And let my client pay ancestry renewal instead
A habe found myself an assistant who wants to do gis family tree .so we can work in collusion he can get a ftmree months subs to another site once ivebstarted him off .

Also taked to Salvation army today
Going to be put in touch with tneir search snd trace department
That would be a good place to volunteer especially if someone nneeds help with tracing using  dna

Coombs id be happy to help you thru quagmire of understanding results
Ive had so much help in other fields on here

Time travel detective is now a real proffession so please spread use of the term .

I.ll be running workshops about identifying british stamps .doing Edwardian photosoots dressing as ancestors & continuing with time travel stories and comedy
I think there will be a recording of August gigs
Anyone KNOW. Any future TTD S  please get in touch.how we can skill share .

I love the alternative payment methods you have! Brilliant and very inventive, sometimes cash can be a blocker whereas something else can be of far more value to us. Feels like stepping back in time and bartering and trading much better system
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 July 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks chidficks for a ll your supportive comments .may stick to being paid in kind for a bit
A habe found myself an assistant who wants to do gis family tree .so we can work in collusion he can get a ftmree months subs to another site once ivebstarted him off .

That would be a good place to volunteer especially if someone nneeds help with tracing using  dna

Time travel detective is now a real proffession so please spread use of the term .

I.ll be running workshops about identifying british stamps .doing Edwardian photosoots dressing as ancestors & continuing with time travel stories and comedy

Thanks, often individual family brickwalls can be very complicated, to the researcher and to others who you are sharing the story with.

Hence why 3 ancestors who were alive in 1841, put "not born in county" and died before 1851 are my 3 main genealogy goal ancestors. All 3 died within 2 and a half years of the date of the 1851 census. 2 of the 3 ancestors died in 1849, if only they had hung on for 2 more years, and the other one just 2 months to live to 30 March 1851.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 07:34 BST (UK) »

Be very careful how you get paid HM Revenue may not put the same value on payments in kind as you do, this has lead many people into huge debts with them.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 13:12 BST (UK) »

Thanks, often individual family brickwalls can be very complicated, to the researcher and to others who you are sharing the story with.

Hence why 3 ancestors who were alive in 1841, put "not born in county" and died before 1851 are my 3 main genealogy goal ancestors. All 3 died within 2 and a half years of the date of the 1851 census. 2 of the 3 ancestors died in 1849, if only they had hung on for 2 more years, and the other one just 2 months to live to 30 March 1851.

In theory, with every brick wall we solve, we create two more new ones 😂😂😂😂

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Of course there will be many records that are not online, and many that probably never will be.

One day we may get London marriages searchable by marriage witness or a PCC wills beneficiary index, that would really help us immensley, but I cannot see such a project happening for years. FreeREG has a few London records but most from Phillimore's. The witnesses on marriages 1754 onwards are worth their weight in gold.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
I think I have found a burial for an ancestor that I had been long looking for. Susannah Hollowell, I found a burial in 1826 of her in Bethnal Green in November 1826. The BG burials for Ancestry have 1823-2826 missing but they are on FindMyPast. About 20 years ago I was looking through St Matthew Bethnal green burials and never noticed any gaps, so they must have missed a book.

Susan Fradine, born in Bethnal Green wed Dennis Helsdon in 1784 then Samuel Hollowell in 1814. They lived in Northants for a time then her son moved back to London. Susan was mentioned in an 1820 will of a rellie by marriage, now I think I have finally found her burial.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 15:15 BST (UK) »

Susan Fradine, born in Bethnal Green wed Dennis Helsdon in 1784 then Samuel Hollowell in 1814. They lived in Northants for a time then her son moved back to London. Susan was mentioned in an 1820 will of a rellie by marriage, now I think I have finally found her burial.

It doesn't matter where they moved to, some people have surnames that give the places their ancesters lived in circa 1066

The name is pronounced as Helsdon.

Hellesdon is partly in Taverham Hundred in the county of Norfolk, and partly in the City of Norwich.
The name may also be spelled Hellesden.
The name is pronounced as Helsdon.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
I think I have found a burial for an ancestor that I had been long looking for. Susannah Hollowell, I found a burial in 1826 of her in Bethnal Green in November 1826. The BG burials for Ancestry have 1823-2826 missing but they are on FindMyPast. About 20 years ago I was looking through St Matthew Bethnal green burials and never noticed any gaps, so they must have missed a book.

What a brilliant result! A good friend of mine has been talking about ‘missing registers’ in the big subscription sites for a long time, have a read of his blog it makes interesting reading

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/lifelinesresearch.co.uk/2020/09/06/where-have-all-the-registers-gone/amp/

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 21:06 BST (UK) »
Oh so this site has also mentioned the missing burials on Ancestry for Bethnal Green. Seems people have contacted them and they give the usual bog standard reply of the registers are complete when they are clearly not. Sometimes the people you are after are right under your nose all the time.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix