Author Topic: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals  (Read 4627 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Setting yourself Genealogy Goals
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
That's why it's always best to check the original or primary source where possible. Not always practical to do so of course.
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 22 July 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
im going to bementored and discuss the payment by skillshare method we are not talkimg big amounts so its less complicated

had young assistantringing me today to ask how he could help and hes shown interest in doing his family tree hes on some kind of payment where he doesnt have to look fior work but is keen to work within his capacities and to help children
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 22 July 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
im going to bementored and discuss the payment by skillshare method we are not talkimg big amounts so its less complicated

had young assistantringing me today to ask how he could help and hes shown interest in doing his family tree hes on some kind of payment where he doesnt have to look fior work but is keen to work within his capacities and to help children

mentoring and passing on your years of experience and skills is such a great thing to do and you are putting something worthwhile back into our hobby.

I think mentoring of young genealogists is such a great way to bring the younger generation into our hobby and integrate them with us oldies a bit more

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 25 July 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Yes it is good to pass on your skills to others.

When I really begun genealogy I read books all about it and how it is done, and how there can be errors and omissions in the records. One book said census records were checked for accuracy. However there was no paper trail proving the info given in the census forms was right, the enumerators wrote down what they were told by the householder or anyone else filling out the form.

My 2xgreat gran was born in Sussex but her parents moved to London when she was a baby, and she always said she was born in London in later censuses. Hate to break it to you Kate, up there somewhere lol, but you wasn't. Still a Londoner, just not born there.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 25 July 21 13:34 BST (UK) »

My 2xgreat gran was born in Sussex but her parents moved to London when she was a baby, and she always said she was born in London in later censuses. Hate to break it to you Kate, up there somewhere lol, but you wasn't. Still a Londoner, just not born there.

I've noticed that when a couple of the males that I'm following left home they stated on the census that they were born in the place they first recalled living in.  It wasn't until they were married and probably their parents had corrected them, or they were given their baptism document, that they then stated their correct place of birth.

As for setting genealogy goals - I don't set goals anymore.   I try to adhere to the old adage.... "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 25 July 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
I had an ancestor living in Yorkshire; birth place in census recorded as 'Botley'.  Real birthplace was Birtley, (Durham).
Another had birthplace of 'Morton'; family had lived in Murton and New York, not far from North Shields.
I suspect these ancestors may have had strong North East accents and the census taker just recorded as heard.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 25 July 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
I had an ancestor living in Yorkshire; birth place in census recorded as 'Botley'.  Real birthplace was Birtley, (Durham).

It's a good job I wasn't looking for them as I translated the birthplace as "Batley", East Riding, Yorkshire, which means the poor thing would never have got any family   :-[
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:07 BST (UK) »

When I really begun genealogy I read books all about it and how it is done, and how there can be errors and omissions in the records. One book said census records were checked for accuracy. However there was no paper trail proving the info given in the census forms was right, the enumerators wrote down what they were told by the householder or anyone else filling out the form.

i wonder if they genuinely didn't know or maybe just preferred another location instead???

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 25 July 21 20:12 BST (UK) »

I've noticed that when a couple of the males that I'm following left home they stated on the census that they were born in the place they first recalled living in.  It wasn't until they were married and probably their parents had corrected them, or they were given their baptism document, that they then stated their correct place of birth.

As for setting genealogy goals - I don't set goals anymore.   I try to adhere to the old adage.... "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well".

I like that old adage Rena, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves we should let the quality of our work speak for ourselves.