Author Topic: Help with research please. Denis Daly Royal Munster Fusiliers.  (Read 284 times)

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with research please. Denis Daly Royal Munster Fusiliers.
« on: Sunday 28 June 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have certain information and would like to fill in the gaps please.
Denis Daly B1859 ( however ....there may be a baptism record from 1857.) born Listowel Ireland.
Parents Mary Leasy and Eugene Daly.
I have the following:
1.Militia attestation from Jan 1887. Army number 592. age 31, in previous service he states 10 years with 4th. Battalion RMF, I cant find any details of this, nor anything before 1887. This record appears to run until Jan 16th 1899 as time expired.
2. Militia attestation from  23 May 1899. Army number 2714. age 40. based on what information I can read and comparing the two records, I am fairly sure this is the same man. He was awarded the Long service medal in 1905, I cant find details of this either ( apart from the militia entry.) He was discharged in 1907.
3. 1901 census record from Tralee Urban Kerry, showing Denis , his 3 sons and daughter, he has 1 other son, however not on census.
4. He died in 1933.
I would like to add anything to the military side as it appears that he has quite a few years earlier service than I can find records for, any other details/record of his Long service medal would be appreciated.
I also notices on the Militia attestation from 1899, that there is a note written at top of page 1, saying "from WO 22/4/25" any idea what this could refer to??
He was also embodied???
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with research please. Denis Daly Royal Munster Fusiliers.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
Couple of snippets which may help.

His earliest service does simply seem to have been lost.  As he was re-joining an essentially local unit in 1887, signed on by someone who probably knew him from before, his statement that he had done ten years with the same unit can surely be believed.

Is he the 1899 man?  He states he has served before and was discharged "time expired" which is true of the 1887 man.  Again, the parochial nature of the battalion makes it likely it is the same man back again to familiar surroundings.  Perhaps he had moved away temporarily or just wanted a break.

The 1900 embodiment (called to full service) was the general call up of the militia across the country as a precaution for the Boer War.  Some were disembodied after just a short time when the need was quantified better.

As a militia man his only commitment was to short periods of annual training which both records show he diligently attended.  He was also able to commit for just a few years at a time. 

The WO/22/4/25 looks like a National Archive reference, perhaps a Militia Muster roll but the National Archives site is refusing to play for me this morning!  The 4th Battalion was previously known as the Kerry Militia and the National Archives has some documents.

Medal - not found (yet)

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
Once again Max, thank-you.
Somewhere or other I have seen him as L/Cpl. If you do come across anything else i would be grateful
regards

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
hello

MAX D.. hope you are well.

Just an update that may be of interest to you, I have found Denis' parents marriage cert. ( Eugene Daly Married Mary Leasy  in 1855) .
Denis' fathers occupation is a private soldier with.....Kerry Reg. of militia. in Barracks Tralee council of Rathap??(not sure of this bit) in county of Kerry. Thanks again for the start on this one.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
The marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1855/09500/5442946.pdf
It's Parish of Ratass (long s) a Civil and COI parish in Kerry
Civil Parish which you can see takes in part of the town of Tralee
https://www.townlands.ie/kerry/ratass2/

The bride's residence is given as Garryroath but I think this is Garryruth on the old maps (and modern)an area between the military barracks and the goal.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sinann.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at Denis Daly's marriage cert, I see that Eugene was dead by 1878, I have looked at Ireland civil records and have found 1 entry that MIGHT be him, however i can only see the bare facts, would you have any other access to this to see if any details link to Denis??
Date of death 1874 in Cork.
Age 45
Qtr1
Volume5
Page120

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Loose end on my part.

WO 22 is the series of registers at the National Archives recording pension payments in the period 1842-1883. there are 300 volumes, can't turn up a WO 22/4/25 though!

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
........would you have any other access to this to see if any details link to Denis??
Date of death 1874 in Cork.
Age 45
Qtr1
Volume5
Page120

This date of death is currently before the ones available on-line on IrishGenealogy.ie (pre 1878).
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/154-update-to-the-civil-records-3

You could order it from the GRO at a cost of 4 for a photocopy.
See:
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do

KG

Cuthbertson - Co Derry, Scotland & Australia
Hunter - Co Derry
Jackson - Co Derry, Scotland & Canada
Scott - Co Derry
Neilly - Co Antrim & USA
McCurdy - Co Antrim
Nixon - Co Cavan, Co Donegal, Canada & USA
Ryan & Noble - Co Sligo