Author Topic: personalised attribution on a death cert - I'm puzzled!  (Read 622 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
personalised attribution on a death cert - I'm puzzled!
« on: Sunday 28 June 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
Lots of things are outside of my experience.

Including this death cert recently part of an RC query
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833458.msg6982012#msg6982012

Though I have many copy death certs, I have never seen one headed as such

I realise that during probate we did/ still have to, provide copy death certs as part of the  system - its the attribution that is a new one for me.

Can anyone offer any explanation?

Thanks
Boo (incurably nosey and always looking for an explanation/background info)

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: personalised attribution on a death cert - I'm puzzled!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
I thin the clue lies in the printing at the top,

Issued at the special fee of......applicable in certain statutory.....

I’ve not seen one with this heading before, but maybe it was a short lived necessity.

Mike

Added,  the PO savings bank was a government department at that time, maybe they wanted this special certificate to keep for their records.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
The certified copy in that image was issued on the same day the death was registered, presumably in order to notify the Post Office Savings Bank of the death prior to any probate and headed as such so that the special fee applied.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies.
 I still find it puzzling (though accept it happened - obviously).
Even if it was to release funds held in the deceased's name surely some evidence would need to be provided to ascertain WHO the funds should be released to? (copy will naming an executor or a grant of probate?)
As such a bog standard certified copy of a death register entry cert would have been a one size fits all scenario? (which is my  most recent experience of dealing with an estate as an executor -though many years after the date on this cert)

Always something new to puzzle over and find out about :-)

Boo

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
There were various “special” certificates (both birth & death) issued for various reasons some such certificates are show here.
http://anguline.co.uk/cert/specials.html
Some would enable a pension to be paid to the widow, others would enable release of funds. There is sometimes more information on the back of the certificate.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Guy, very interesting to see the images though I still struggle to see (other than ott officialdom) the need for individual attributions like this. Always something new to learn :-)

Oddly I have recently seen an example of the birth certificate request form relating to the National Insurance Act 1911, requiring a birth cert. Unfortunately the man in question was born in 1840 in Scotland, which was prior to civil registration there.
The reply from the local registrar gave details from the 1841 census and stated he was recorded then aged 6 months - though I could provide the entry in the OPR which recorded his birth date and baptism, its probably a wee bit late :-)

As there was no actual cert provided I had no idea it would have had an attribution such as this.

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
The reply from the local registrar gave details from the 1841 census

When the Old Age Pension was introduced under the Old Age Pensions Act 1908, for those aged 70 and over, it was recognized that some difficulty would be found in many cases in determining the age of the claimant, and acceptable documents were, a certificate of birth, a certificate of baptism, a certificate of service in any of the Crown's forces, a certificate of membership of any friendly or provident society or trade union and certificate of marriage. Any other evidence which appeared sufficient for the purpose could also be accepted. Documentary evidence of age had to be furnished at the claimant's own expense.
In Ireland where certificates of birth were not available, it was expected that the Baptismal Registers  would probably provide the necessary evidence of age and that claimants should have no difficulty in obtaining certificates on making proper application. It was also expected that Relieving Officers, rate collectors, and the clerks of unions in Ireland may be in a position to give assistance on questions of age, as well as available census records.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, yes the census information was accepted.

Boo