Author Topic: How Clutching at Straws has given me my biggest ever breakthrough in 20 years  (Read 1191 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How Clutching at Straws has given me my biggest ever breakthrough in 20 years
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
Well done, I'm still searching for my one of my g.grandfather's roots.  From DNA, I have been in contact with a man in USA, who kindly provided me with his father's parents names and I've followed both branches back to the mid 1700s.  Bearing in mind that my g.grandfather was born around 1857/8 I've been looking for people born early enough to have been his father or mother.  I've yet to trace all these individual people forwards to see where they were in 1851 and 1861.  Of course, it could be that my g.grandfather is descended from this American man's mother's line, so when I've got all the info together about his father's tree, I'm going to give it to him and ask him if he'll give me the names of his mother's parents.

Whether I'll ever find out my g.grandfather's roots or not, I don't know.  I have a feeling he was illegitimate and whatever name he had at birth is not the one he used as an adult.  His daughter (my gran) always had a photo of his mother on the mantelpiece, but as far as I remember no photo of his father.  Sadly, when my gran died, her eldest daughter who lived with her burned all photos etc. relating to this man saying "We don't want anything to do with that do we!"  As from my DNA results, I have some Jewish DNA which must have come from this g.grandfather - I've traced the other branches of my family tree back generations and everyone is from either England or Scotland and the man in America is Jewish - I'm assuming that my aunt didn't want to be associated with Jewishness, particularly soon after WW2 ended.  Otherwise, she just didn't like the fact that her g.grandfather was illegitimate (if indeed he was).

How sad that the photos have been destroyed, maybe she knew more about the story than she ever told.

The beauty of DNA is as more and more people test, hopefully your matches will increase and you might be able to triangulate your matches to narrow it down.

Have you uploaded your data to all the available websites?
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes