Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 28th June  (Read 474 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday 28th June
« on: Monday 29 June 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
I know this is the second post for Sunday but we're still awaiting Trystan to put the previous one onto Saturday's... oh dear this is getting confusing!

Well the wind hasn't let up all day and we've had odd very intensive rain that at times has lasted 5 minutes then bright sunshine!
Naturally the internet has been in and out like a yoyo... if I get this posted it'll be a miracle!
Sunday Papers seem to be getting thinner by the week... now they've brought the sports section back... full of football so it goes straight into the bottom of the food recycle bin!
OH went off to play golf this morning had a chunter about only playing 12 holes... he doesn't usually play on a Sunday...
Sat in the conservatory to read the papers but couldn't settle so decided to get the vacuum out as there were loads of dead hover flies they seem to gravitate to that room....
Once that was done I decided to do the lounge carpets, hall, clean downstairs lol.... etc etc... you get the drift...
I don't usually clean on a Sunday but as I'd got the house to myself I like to get on with it...
All floors washed too...
Put away all the isolated shopping that has been in the garage..
Sat outside yo have my lunch and a read of the magazines but I was fighting a loosing battle with the wind!..
O.H home he had lunch and went to try finish his jigsaw
I thought I'd get on with some more sewing and got almost another 17 coverings done...
Decided to get dinner organised made a Thai green curry.. like to make my own paste up but had to buy freeze dried lemon grass which was like gritty paper and no fragrance to it at all..
Daughter due to Zoom about 5pm ... they've been to Kew today and in the end it was nearly 6pm... fortunately the internet was behaving so we had a reasonable chat... they had to book a time slot to go sadly glass houses, log trail, tree top walk etc all closed so they just enjoyed the rest of the park covering 8 miles! Both boys were quite tired especially the youngest aged 4 told me his legs were tired!
Good news they are both going back to school on the 6th July... head teacher has decided she wants all the children to have two weeks back before summer hols... it's only going to be 3 hrs a day from Mon-Thurs but better than nothing... hope they'll both be going at the same time as otherwise that's going to be a right pain! Apparently the school are going to try and make sure siblings get same hours... 🤞🤞
Eldest grandson played some tunes on his guitar that his dad had taught him.. apparently when he goes into yr 3 he'll have music lessons so wants to learn to play the drums 😱😬....
Internet dropped in and out so eventually we had to call it a day...
By the time we'd showered and hairwash it was neatly 8pm so glad I'd got dinner organised... nearly 9pm by the time we'd finished..
Caught up with  antiques road show and last episode of Salisbury Poisonings...
another day been and gone.... not seen any news today .... only heard it on the radio looks like Leicester could have a shut down as they've been quite a few cases in last couple of weeks...
Also heard an illegal rave in nearby town had been broken up by police... read in the papers these raves are one way the drug suppliers are distributing their stuff! Throw the book at then I say..
Enough now hope others have had a better day and weather been ok...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 28th July
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, as far as I know it is still June!  Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 28th July
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry Caroline, I really screwed things up didn't I?  :-[ And now I've got you thinking it's July! Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

You certainly had a productive day Caroline. Good news that your grandsons will be going back to school for a while, probably good to break them back in gently in that way.

Very cloudy and windy here, usual walk, uneventful. After lunch I too did a lot of cleaning, not my favourite occupation but needs must if I don't want a dirty house. Did the rest of the ironing, just doing the last item when my supermarket delivery arrived bang on time. Commented to the female driver that I bet she was pleased it was a dry day, she said last week when it rained was dreadful, she was soaked right through to her undies. Poor lass, they're doing a great job and that must be really uncomfortable.

Watched the last episode of the last series of Line of Duty, apparently there's another series coming but filming has been suspended due to the pandemic.   
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 28th June
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
I know... just goes to show what the brains going through doesn't it! I was thinking about eldests birthday which is on Wednesday 1st July!
I've now corrected the month! 🙂

Glad your day was a busy one too it helps to pass the time... not favourite occupation either but once I get stuck into it I'm ok!

Catch up later

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
I am most impressed by all the industrious Sunday cleaning. Well done Ladies.  Isn't it good how men do what they fancy and women do chores?  ;)

Another windy and grey morning most of which I spent responding to complaints regarding the external works on the apartment block.  It seems the residents accepted quotes totalling more than £12,000 without knowing the precise specifications of the contract, but now being aware that what was expected has not been completed entirely.  We expect the management property company to be attending to the minutiae, as we pay them too, but perhaps that is not happening.  There will be a meeting tomorrow with the agent and contractor, and I do not feel qualified to run a gauntlet with either of them, let alone both.
Out after lunch, a winter coat, hat and scarf kind of day, walked down to the end of Preston beach hoping to see someone with whom I struck up a conversation about books, and give her the one I have just finished, but she wasn't around. Walking back into a very strong wind, (the forecast said 42mph,) we decided to buy ice creams, and would you believe it a gull swooped between us and left me with just the cone. Flabbergasted or what!!
After tea walked along Goodrington prom.  Met some acquaintances and stopped for a lengthy chat about the vibrations in her bedroom which have started since the new phone masts were erected.  She reckons the metal curtain pole and hooks are picking up the signal, so I suggested she might try a wooden pole.

The families of cygnets and ducklings are looking well and growing nicely.
Watched the Luminaries on TV and some vintage Glastonbury footage. What a lot of veterans performing there!! The only one who came across strong  was Dame Shirley Bassey in my opinion.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse, what a nightmare this exterior painting seems to be, hope it's soon sorted out.

Mugged by a seagull, pesky creatures! A few years ago at Whitby they brought in birds of prey to disperse them because of similar problems. As I'm sure you know, the trouble is that people still insist on feeding them. A friend of mine was once trying to convince me that they're hungry, I said no, they're just greedy.

Pleased to hear that the ducklings and cygnets are doing well.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse- you may have a good point about men....
so sorry to hear what trouble you're having with the painters.. do hope you're able to resolve it but a shame it seems to be falling to you to do.. ☹️
Your day certainly sounded like rather a stressful one and to loose your icecream to a pesky seagull....good to hear ducklings and cygnets are still thriving.

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
Have you considered growing your own lemon grass Caroline? It grows like a weed here in the ground or in a pot. You seem to have green thumbs so you might have some success though I don’t know how well it does in cold climates - maybe it can be treated as an annual or perennial?

I see that seeds are available from amazon uk though a potted plant or two would probably give you a quicker crop (though I don’t know if they are available in the UK).

I also have a kaffir lime tree in a pot which is not thriving due to the conditions not being quite right - the leaves smell amazing.

Chilli also tend to grow like a weed.

Obviously there will probably be some ingredients that still need to be purchased.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
Oh Ruskie how envious I am that you can grow exotics...
A friend here who is a wonderful gardener and an amazing cook gave me some lemon grass last year which we planted.... we should have lifted it before the frosts .... we didn't have any but a ton of rain so they rotted in the ground 😢... I haven't the heart to tell her either...
I love the smell of kafir leaves and can buy fresh from supermarket.
We have grown chillies quite successfully.
When we lived in Africa we had mango trees in the garden and pawpaws which we ate for breakfast...
Happy memories!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK