Author Topic: Thompson-Boyd  (Read 2591 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson-Boyd
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 02:01 BST (UK) »
Oops!
 I have just read other peoples posts from an early request and now back track from my advise unless you know it is definitely your man.
What are the proven facts you know? there are too many possibilities. No point in us all doubling up information to end up with total confusion.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
Really flimsy lead here, but it might be worth exploring IF it should turn out that the Amy who died in 1896 was indeed his wife (the  previous wife's identity needs to be bottomed out), anyhow, it's a marriage notice from the Philadelphia Inquirer of 20 October 1888: BOYD-BROADWAY.-October 17, 1888, by Rev. W.H. Burrell, at his residence, No. 43 Cooper Street, Camden, N.J., Mr. THOMPSON BOYD to Mrs. AMY BROADWAY, both late of Cairo, Eygpt, now of Philadelphia - another shot in the dark on this track is a marriage that was registered at Kensington district England in June 1880 between a James Broadway and an Amy Meyrick.   

The New York Evening Telegram of 29 March, 1890 had an article listing some of the passengers on transatlantic liners leaving port that day, on the 'City of Berlin' bound for Liverpool it mentioned Dr. E. Thompson Boyd, Mrs Boyd.  I haven't found the relevant manifest to be able to rule this in or out or see if it provides more information, such as her forename.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 06:16 BST (UK) »
That is a promising lead...…. on the registration of  Amy's death registration it  has the name of father family name Edw Merryck so that would fit in nicely IF it is the same Albert.
I found him in Australia on 1903 electoral roll.. as dentist living in Caufield Victoria with [I guess His second wife] Elizabeth.

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 01:10 BST (UK) »
>>>I'm unable to find any documentation of his parents names, although in 1896 an Amy Thompson Boyd died in Victoria,  aged 52 (making her approximately 20 years older). Edgar put an article in the paper at this time thanking people for their recent cards and flowers during his recent bereavement.
He married Elizabeth Ann Ogg the same year.
Thanks again, your time is appreciated<<<<

Just a thought to these last posts by gaffy and myself I wonder is it possible that Amy is Albert's mother and not Wife?
 Would be worth the $20 to clear this up one way or another...seems there is a connection.

Registration number; 8783 / 1896
Family name: BOYD
Given name(s) Amy Thompson
Place of event:
Brtn, Australia [Brighton]

Mother's name <Unknown Family Name>, Unknown
Mother's family name at birth UNKNOWN
Father's Name: <Unknown Family Name>, Merryck Edw]

>>>>[Really flimsy lead here, but it might be worth exploring IF it should turn out that the Amy who died in 1896 was indeed his wife (the  previous wife's identity needs to be bottomed out), anyhow, it's a marriage notice from the Philadelphia Inquirer of 20 October 1888: BOYD-BROADWAY.-October 17, 1888, by Rev. W.H. Burrell, at his residence, No. 43 Cooper Street, Camden, N.J., Mr. THOMPSON BOYD to Mrs. AMY BROADWAY, both late of Cairo, Eygpt, now of Philadelphia - another shot in the dark on this track is a marriage that was registered at Kensington district England in June 1880 between a James Broadway and an Amy Meyrick.]   

[The New York Evening Telegram of 29 March, 1890 had an article listing some of the passengers on transatlantic liners leaving port that day, on the 'City of Berlin' bound for Liverpool it mentioned Dr. E. Thompson Boyd, Mrs Boyd.  I haven't found the relevant manifest to be able to rule this in or out or see if it provides more information, such as her forename]<<<<<

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Really flimsy lead here, but it might be worth exploring IF it should turn out that the Amy who died in 1896 was indeed his wife (the  previous wife's identity needs to be bottomed out), anyhow, it's a marriage notice from the Philadelphia Inquirer of 20 October 1888: BOYD-BROADWAY.-October 17, 1888, by Rev. W.H. Burrell, at his residence, No. 43 Cooper Street, Camden, N.J., Mr. THOMPSON BOYD to Mrs. AMY BROADWAY, both late of Cairo, Eygpt, now of Philadelphia - another shot in the dark on this track is a marriage that was registered at Kensington district England in June 1880 between a James Broadway and an Amy Meyrick.   

The New York Evening Telegram of 29 March, 1890 had an article listing some of the passengers on transatlantic liners leaving port that day, on the 'City of Berlin' bound for Liverpool it mentioned Dr. E. Thompson Boyd, Mrs Boyd.  I haven't found the relevant manifest to be able to rule this in or out or see if it provides more information, such as her forename.

That is a great find - lots of coincidences there worth following up! I had a quick look in US newspapers the other day, but couldn't find anything, well done  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:55 BST (UK) »
Very bad scan, but there is this marriage notice in the Daily Telegraph Thursday,  June 3, 1880 :

"BROADWAY - MEYRICK On the 2[?]th ult. at West London [?] by the Rev. Henry Varley, James Broadway of C[?- could be Cairo] to Amy, daughter of the late George Meyrick of [?]."

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
Also:
"DEATHS .. On the 10th Oct, at his residence in Cairo, JAMES BROADWAY of heart disease, after a long and protracted illness, aged 53."

The Times, Thursday,  Nov. 3, 1887

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
Possibly of interest:

"MARRIAGES ... On the 2nd inst., at the British Consulate, Cairo, Egypt, James Broadway, fourth son of William Broadway, Salem House, Pangbourne, Berks, to Jane Scully, daughter of the late Scinde Scully Esq., chief engineer to Abbas Pasha, Viceroy of Egypt."
Reading Mercury, Saturday,  Sept. 28, 1861 (and various other papers too)

"DEATHS .. BROADWAY - Sept, 10, at Cairo, Jane, the beloved wife of James Broadway Esq., aged 36."
The Standard, Monday,  Sept. 30, 1878

DEATHS ... BROADWAY - On the 3rd inst., at 61. Kennington-park-road, S.E., Sigismund Alexander William Edward Broadway, M.R.C.S., Eng., B.R.C.P. Lond., only son of the late James Broadway, of Cairo, Egypt, aged twenty-eight years."
Morning Post, Saturday,  Nov. 12, 1892

Offline CalaBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to everyone who has taken time to look into this family.
Edgar remains somewhat of a mystery.. He is buried at Brighton Cemetery (Melbourne) with Amy Thompson d. 1896.
I will order Amy Thompson Boyd's death certificate and hopefully this will clear up whether she was Edgar's first wife, or his mother.
She would have been 20 years older, and I've seen no children of this marriage. Edgar married Elizabeth the same year Amy died, and had also had a child. As Amy died 16/07/1896 it seems strange that he could marry and father a child in the remaining months.
It is still a puzzle with the name Meyrick / Merryck being Amy's maiden name.
Hopefully we can track down where Broadway fits in!