Author Topic: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards  (Read 4302 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards
« Reply #72 on: Friday 03 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mckha489

Haven't had time to look at 1876 one - but will.... and thanks for pointing out that Isabella's father is actually a pensioner... Hadn't noticed... so she could have been born in Ireland, or even in Malta, if her father had been stationed there....  Lots to sort out

Cheers
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 04 July 20 00:05 BST (UK) »
An easier way to search Police Gazettes is via Papers Past as they have appear on there as well. I had forgotten.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/periodicals/all

Canterbury Police Gazette 1863-1877
New Zealand Police Gazette 1877-1945
Otago Police Gazette 1861-1877

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

As promised have spent the last day or two, working on a summary of "Michael Kenny".  I have a reputation for being wordy - and no matter how I try i still end up with a "timeline" for Michael which is about 4 pages long!  Might put it into a PDF attachment so that those who wish can read it... but not yet!
A couple of things needed to round off the story - am awaiting Death details for the child Jane Kenny who seems to have died only 3 days before her father in 1892 ... and therein lies another question, specifically for "kiwihalfpint".  Can you tell me where you found the school records of Jane   "- The School Record for Jane Kenny of Oamaru, who attended Oamaru South School on 19 July 1880, was born 26 July 1873.  Parent was Michael Kenny of Severn Street."... Certainly seems like our Jane, but could the date of birth be wrong?  Michael and the mother Isabella definitely travel to NZ on 14th April 1874 - and there is no child named on the list I have.. (must admit I have committed the ultimate error of genealogy - and not taken note of where I found the "Assisted Migrant" passenger list for them... - Have looked and looked, and though i have the copy - can't figure out where I got it from.!!!)
Also haven't found the death of Isabella... so time enough - while I await for Janes' death info...
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:45 BST (UK) »
Here’s the shipping

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FSBM-966

I think “we” have decided the older Jane burial is actually Isabella. (Haven’t we?)

3 days before her father in 1892

Michael died 1890

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:10 BST (UK) »
Woooops....

Thank you  for that...- have a bit of a head cold - got "brain fade" obviously... And so much info to sort out - I have missed out on a few points.

Have to go back and check out the "39 year old" Jane....  Would have to verify the actual name on death entry... Did she actually call herself "Jane" sometimes.... "Aliases" wouldn't have been a bad idea with all the criminal info on them.. but Oamaru wasn't that big a place ? - They seem very well known by community!

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:18 BST (UK) »

and therein lies another question, specifically for "kiwihalfpint".  Can you tell me where you found the school records of Jane   "- The School Record for Jane Kenny of Oamaru, who attended Oamaru South School on 19 July 1880, was born 26 July 1873.  Parent was Michael Kenny of Severn Street."...

On one of my personal genealogy discs.  As for dates of birth on school records, sometimes we need to take them with a pinch of salt ...it wasn't always a parent who registered a child at school, Mum probably told an older sibling to register, and they didn't always get the information right, could have been a neighbour etc.  I have one in my family, that when registered, he apparently was three months older than his actual month.

Spades and I did suggest you write to the Oamaru NSZG.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
Did she actually call herself "Jane" sometimes

Noted as Jane on Michael’s death cert.  which suggests she did.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again KHP

Thanks very much for your quick reply.  Your knowledge and interest are much appreciated. Must say that considering how much info and amazing involvement everyone has had with my project, I was actually a bit hesitant to contact the Oamaru NSZG - could they really help me with any more info than everyone here has done?  Could there be much more!!!???  Must say that of all the people I have worked on in my Tree, this one takes the cake as to "media coverage"!!! 

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
You won't know until you ask!

I would recommend that you try every possible avenue. Local history societies often have unpublished material you might get other snippets of data to flesh out (sorry for the pun) your knowledge.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL