Author Topic: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards  (Read 4253 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards
« on: Monday 29 June 20 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Shaunj - Rootschatter on another page, i think I have found one of my long lost family tree souls!
Michael Kenny, born about 1828, in Tulla Co. Clare Ireland, long military career with 59th Foot regiment.  My ancestor - his wife Jane dies in Scotland in 1872, and he is discharged from army in 1873. (Stating that he would go back to Limerick, Ireland where I have failed to find him.   And now it appears that he has found his way to Oamaru New Zealand, where his pension was paid in June 1875.  So, as usual, I have jumped in - (not a  very well organised person) - and may have found a death in 1880 - have sent away to BMD NZ for a printout.  Have searched for migration/passenger lists in anc. and FindMyPast - no success as yet.  And have also discovered "Papers Past" - what a wealth of NZ info!  But also of course it has reminded me of how common the name Michael Kenny was. 
Have found one Michael Kenny in the general area of NZ, relevant period, who drowned, another who died as an old single "army pensioner" in 1890 (but wrong regiment).. and another very interesting Michael Kenny who had a wife Isabella and who both appear regularly in the local newspapers for drunken behaviour!!... 
Where to go from here?  I now have a feeling that the 1880 death printout I have sent for, might not be mine.... 
I truly appreciate the help Rootschatters have always been (Thanks again Shaunj - truly appreciated).. and I don't want people to be doing my work for me... But being quite inexperienced with NZ records, can anyone give me a bit of direction? 
I have always wanted to see NZ - having lived in Australia for more than 50 years (expatriate Scot) - who knows, if I confirm my NZ connection, I might just have a trip over, once all the travel restrictions are lifted!  Might be too old to travel, if I wait for UK travel restrictions to be lifted!  Thanks for your patience everyone!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
I know you have discounted this man but he is in Oamaru and the right age.....

1890/5829   Kenny   Michael   62

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18901024.2.27?end_date=31-12-1890&query=michael+kenny&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1890

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OAM18901024.2.21?end_date=31-12-1890&query=michael+kenny&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1890

Added: Cemetery records show his age as 75 years.

Michael KENNY   75
Date of Burial   24 October 1890   Cemetery   Oamaru Old - General
Block   107   Plot   52

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:07 BST (UK) »
The National Archives, in Wellington, keep records of military pensions paid to veterans in New Zealand, by the British authorities. An ancestor of my wife was a military pensioner, and his record was accessible through a card index. Spades, the NZ page moderator, found the information for us, on one of his visits to the archives. My wife's ancestors' record has the date of award of the pension, the unit he served in, and dates of payment.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the NZ Board maggbill ;D :D

Just adding your other thread here ..just so others know what is on there, and saves a bit of duplication.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833157.0

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Minniehaha,
You are right.  This man is the correct age - and though the stated "regiment" was 65th, not the 59th - it would be very easy for this to be incorrect.  The articles don't show that anyone had great knowledge of this Michael's life - so who knows.  Maybe i should go back to the NZ BMD's and see if there is an actual death registration for this one, and get some family details, if known.  - AT $25 a pop, I wouldn't want to be trying too many orders!!

Another "missing soul" attached to the story is "Mary Kenny" - Michael's daughter who was born in Tiperrary in Ireland in 1866 - is listed in Scotland 1871 census, living with her mother and grandparents (Michael being in Bombay or somewhere in India)... and a year or two later, after her mother dies, Mary, the child seems to have been looked after by her grandparents in Glasgow - sought Poor Law Relief - but it seems they got little help, as she would have been the responsability of her "parish" of birth in Ireland. The two grandparents disappear from Scotland, and think they die in Omagh Co. Tyrone, Ireland, in 1885, and 1890.  And if Michael Kenny is a popular name - well.... "Mary Kenny"... they are nineteen to the dozen.  Think her disappearance is an even more difficult one than her father Michael.  He may or may not have taken any responsability for her - as through her first 5 years or so of life, he was living a very distant soldiers life.  Oh well... onwards... but your suggestion is certainly a possible.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the welcome and the added post link KHP.  Much appreciated.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi johnf04
Thanks for your info re the pension records.  I have found record of when the pension was granted to Michael - and that it was paid in Oamaru in June 1875, but no further details. Can I ask , did the records you got from the National Archives actually give you the ongoing payment details i.e. location and dates?  That would help re his date and location of death.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:39 BST (UK) »
Might be this set?

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullSeriesHistory.do

The names of persons receiving pensions that are contained in these registers are indexed into the General Biographical Card Index [BIO 1] located in Archives New Zealand, Wellington Office reading room.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Magbill - I have attached a copy of his record. John moved to Melbourne in 1889, and his record notes that. We have no record for his pension in Australia, and he died later in 1889.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,