Author Topic: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards  (Read 4343 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kenny Irishman Oamaru 1875 onwards
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
I have no idea what information they will hold for the Kenny family, but you will probably wonder "what if" if you didn't get in touch.  There is no harm in finding out, and you could ask what further information do they hold for the school records.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
All comments appreciated - and yes, i will chase up the Oamaru group too... And Spades - sorry - I seem to have some issues with how my PM's present themselves (got your latest)... i have some really old pms' from various people which seem to always appear to confuse the issue.... Think I need a break - brain fade is getting worse.. Blame it on the winter bug I have... nooooo.. not the "big one"...!!!!!!!!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, to Local history societies, they can also be a goldmine of information.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Rootschatters

Well, I must say once again, a very sincere Thank You - and my true appreciation of the input each and everyone of you have had over this past week or so.  Since Saturday, I have been battling an incredible cold - thank God not the nasty virus (tested), so do forgive me if i have not got back to you all sooner.  As promised, I will attach a summary (4 pages!!) pdf file giving the outline of the story.

I wished to know if Michael had taken care of the child Mary Kenny,  who he had from his marriage with my 2nd great aunt Jane McNab,  and I now know the answer is a definite negative.
Instead I have found an amazing tale, of the latter half of his life.  I love how Australians are so proud of having convicts in their tree, but when you read the nitty gritty of army life, migration, petty crime and struggle, the reality hits home!!!

I have experienced the basics of the New Zealand genealogy system, but even more, I have once again learned that Rootschat is a great site.  The generosity, the knowledge, shared by one and all is to be truly admired.  Thank you again - I will now attach the summary.  Will get back to you all again if I receive the outstanding few pieces of information..   And another thing learned is that our obsession with family research never ends!!!   Cheers everyone!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have just received the death entry for young Jane Kenny, and as suspected she died of Phithisis - i.e.. Tuberculosis.  I found it interesting that her "occupation" is listed as "servant"... which made me wonder.  Were the inmates of the Magdalen usually termed as "servants"? Because considering her previous lifestyle, I doubt that she would actually have been employed by a family as a servant. Thought I would see if there were any census records - but as a "Kiwi records newbie" - was surprised and disappointed to find out - "The population of New Zealand was enumerated from 1858 to the present. However, the pre-1966 returns have been destroyed with the exception of a few for the Maori population (1891-Family History Library film 449437, item 2; 1911-Family History Library film 449444, item 8)."....  Was there a particular reason for the destruction of census records?  Have been spoiled with my long standing Scottish records - census records give some amazing information....  Will attach death entry for Jane.  I also found it interesting that Jane died on 20th October and was buried on the same day?  Didn't waste any time did they??  Will search for Magdalene records, but doubt that they exist?

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:32 BST (UK) »
My wife's great aunt Imelda Cavanagh was in a Catholic orphanage in Dunedin in the early 1900s, and in her teens she was sent out to work as a servant, from the orphanage.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:34 BST (UK) »
And last but not least, here is the death entry for Isabella Kenny!  Seems she died of a ....lioma (cancer?) of the tongue, age 39.  Michael was not the informant of death.  And as for place of birth,  contrary to previous records, (born Ireland, Born Malta), it now states that she was born in England.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 09 July 20 04:37 BST (UK) »
I think that's epithelioma, and it does mean cancer.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 09 July 20 06:39 BST (UK) »
Those certificates tie it up very nicely though don’t they.

Very satisfying! ;D