Author Topic: RAF photo help  (Read 471 times)

Offline davidjones533

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF photo help
« on: Monday 29 June 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for help with the two photos below. I wonder if anyone can provide any additional context to them or suggest a year. in large group photo and in the middle of the smaller group photo.

Large group photo: subject is second from right on back row. Most of those wearing jackets appear to have the badge of a wireless operator on their right arm. None wear the half brevet on their chest that indicates that they were aircrew - but this could be before it was introduced in 1943?  Some have a white stripe on their hats indicating that they were still undergoing aircrew training?

Small group photo: subject in middle. Corporal stripes. Are these flying boots or wellies? All seem to have long sleeveless overcoats / raincoats - were these standard, for aircrew or groundcrew?

Thanks in anticipation...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RAF photo help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat David.  :)

Sorry I am unable to help but hopefully my reply will put your query to the top of the list.

Good luck.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
The second photo has men wearing the cold weather leather jerkin with their wellies, typical of a ground crew working mostly outside.  No real distinguishing marks anywhere.

The first picture has the look of a training course, wizened instructor with WW1 medals in the centre, and men from a number of different units and some different ranks including, as you note, some aircrew under training.  Again nothing really significant.

Year - early WW2 years?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline davidjones533

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max - that's very helpful.

:)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
The 'sparks' badge was not only worn by wireless operators it was and still is worn by qualified personnel in the radio engineering trades. I was awarded mine in 1970 as a LAC air radar mechanic and still wore one in 1993 when I was a Chief Tech in the trade of Eng Tech Avionics.