Author Topic: Peter John Gray - Help Please !  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Peter John Gray - Help Please !
« on: Monday 29 June 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please as I'm coming up against 'brick walls' at every turn.
I'm trying to find Peter John GRAY (b.c.1891) who died in 1924 in Salford - on his daughter Mabel's marriage certificate of 1940, is occupation was a Stoker...but whether it was on a ship or in a factory it doesn't say. Thanks    ::) ::) ::) ::)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter John Gray - Help Please !
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
When was Mabel born?
Who was her mother?
What does the marriage certificate of Peter and her mother tell you? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
Where was Mabel born?  1911 has a 2yr old adopted child Mabel Gray

Is she the Mabel McKenna who died 1998?  If so - birthdate 25.3.1916 but no birth as Gray

Another Mabel Gray/McKenna b 18.2.1917

When and where did Mabel die?

Only 3 Mabel Gray births in Lancs between 1912-1921 - 1914/16/17

Births March qtr 1917 
Gray    Mabel   mmn Vaughan    Manchester    8d   318

No Peter Gray marriage to a Vaughan

Deaths March qtr 1924 
Gray    Peter J    33    Salford    8d   90

No Peter John Gray birth 1889-1892
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
SP has a 1904 marriage between a John Gray and a Jeanie Vaughan or De Vaughan but no birth for a Peter John Gray

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Also 2 Mabel Gray births in Scotland - 1913 & 1920
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
I'd previously found Mable GRAY's birth on 18 Feb 1817, but for some reason, haven't been able to find her death again, which took place in Salford in the 1970's, when she was Mabel McKENNA ??  I'd also found a possible birth for her in the GRO with a mother named VAUGHAN. I'd found Peter J GRAY's death in Salford in 1924 (age 33), but now, it's looking like he was just named John GRAY ??  So, if the marriage to Jeannie VAUGHAN in Scotland is his, then no wonder I couldn't find him ?  Thanks everyone !!!  ............and now I have to find James Henry McKENNA b. 4 Jul 1912, (who married Mabel). His father was Bernard Joseph McKENNA (and because I suspect they may have come from Ireland, this will be another difficult search)...... hey ho - back to the drawing board.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Something to bear in mind: a Peter J Grey married a Frances I. Vaughan in 1916 Runcorn, Cheshire.   No births for Grey mmn Vaughan in the relevant time frame and only a Mabel for Gray mmn Vaughan  (there are 3 other Gray/Vaughan births in West Derby but they seem to be children of a Francis E Gray married to a Mary K Vaughan 1918 West Derby).

I think you really need to purchase the birth certificate of the Mabel Gray - birth Mar.qtr.1917 Manchester - to confirm if this is your Mabel or not.   If the right birthdate, and father, you'll know for sure the name of her mother (and hopefully trace the right marriage) and can find out what happened to her after Peter's death.

Since Peter John Gray was born c.1891 he cannot be the John Gray married to a Jeannie Vaughan in 1904 as far too young (13)!!

You need to progress slowly and first step has to be confirming if the Mabel Gray birth 1917 Manchester is indeed yours or not.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
Something to bear in mind: a Peter J Grey married a Frances I. Vaughan in 1916 Runcorn, Cheshire.

The man Mabel is living with in 1939 may be her stepfather.

Marriages Jun qtr 1925

DAVIES, Frank   
GRAY, Frances
Salford    8d   717

Debra  :)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter John GRAY - Help Please !
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
I now have Mabel GRAY's Birth Cert. of 18 Feb 1917 in St Mary's Hospital, Chorlton Upon Medlock - Father Peter John GRAY, Mother Frances VAUGHAN, both of 19 Bedford St, Chorlton Upon Medlock.  And the only likely marriage of a Peter J GREY is to a Frances I VAUGHAN in Runcorn, Cheshire in Jan 1916. I'm also sure that Frances VAUGHAN went on to marry Frank DAVIES in 1925 in Salford, after Peter J GRAY had died there in 1924. So, the only likely mother for Mabel seems to be a Frances Isabella VAUGHAN b. 1893, Birkenhead, who died in 1927 in Salford.  However, the only male GRAY born in Salford in 1891 was a John GRAY (mother's maiden name Fidler).  So I'm a bit stumped now trying to ascertain if he was, in fact, Peter John GRAY b. 1891 - can anyone help please ??

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is of any help:

FreeBMD
Deaths Mar 1924   
Gray    Peter J    33    Salford    8d   90

margaret

Sorry Mobo - you already have this.
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx