Author Topic: Langholm: Names- Wolves, Hounam, Blackmere  (Read 661 times)

Offline resimage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Langholm: Names- Wolves, Hounam, Blackmere
« on: Monday 29 June 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to track where the Wolves and/or the Blackmere's came from:
Samuel Wolves 1763 - 1832  married to Mary Blackmere 1770 - ?
Had a daughter
Mary Ann Joyce Wolves BIRTH 1803 • Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland  DEATH 11.11.1878 Langholm, Dumfriesshire. Spouse Thomas Hounam.

Samuel Wolves was the Baron-Bailie which would have been a pretty big deal at the time.

There are very few Wolves out there and practically no Blackmere's. They possibly originated in Warwickshire simply because that's the only place I've found any Wolves on Ancestry & Find My Past.

They are really cool unusual names so I would have thought they would be easy but it's just a dead end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Langholm: Names- Wolves, Hounam, Blackmere
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
Samuel Wolves is my GGG Grandfather. 

His origins and ancestry have been a complete brick wall for me for the past 20 years or so!  You summarise quite succinctly almost all I know about him.

He was buried in Wauchope Cemetery, Langholm, on 10 Jan 1832, but I have yet to find any trace of a grave.

Bruce
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline resimage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bruce,
He's my GGGG Grandfather.
I know people on here have mentioned him a long time ago, I hoped someone may have unearthed something in the last few years.
I think he and his wife parachuted in from somewhere. They were definitely in Midlothian because that's where his daughter was born. But I suspect they weren't actually from Scotland.

Someone on here says that Samuel is mentioned in a book 'Oor Ain Folk' by David J Beattie but copies are a bit expensive for something that may be of no help at all.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference GD224/522/3
Title Estate Reports
Dates 1778-1815

49. 1813 April 7
Printed notice (2 copies) by the Police Association of Langholm to the inhabitants listing practices which they will use all means in their power to prevent (eg, breaking street lamps, trespassing on private property, etc). And some blank billet forms issued by Samuel Wolves, Billet Master, Langholm.

And...that's all their is in the NAS

The British Newspaper Archive has a half dozen or so entries. One I glanced at mentions a glass factory in Leeds.

Good luck.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline resimage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,
It's actually a step forward at least it puts a date on when he was active.

... Kevin

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. 

Samuel Wolves was Sheriff Officer before becoming Baron Baillie for the Duke - there's several reports in old Dumfries newspapers.  He's described as "formidable" in one of the Langholm books.

I like to think that maybe he was responsible for sending his (about-to-be) David Hounam relative to Dumfries jail for a week.

An old receipt book of a Langholm merchant showed that Samuel bought whisky!
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline MaryGib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 22 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I posted this on the “Hounam families” thread, then noticed this one specifically mentioning surname Blackmere. So at the risk of duplication, I’ll repost to this one also:

—-
I've also been looking for information on the ‘elusive Samuel Wolves’ and others for many years, with little success.  He’s my GGGG grandfather via John Hounam then Margaret E. Hounam.

Recently, an internet search produced an interesting text, possibly an OCR version of some historical document but thinking it would be easily found again, I only took a screenshot, so unfortunately can't name the source. Anyway, I joined Rootschat to offer the following :

“In Langholm, on the 5th instant, at an advanced age, Mrs Wankly” (yes, really), “mother-in-law to Mr Samuel Wolves, Sheriff Officer, Langholm.”

Needless to say, ‘Mrs Wankly’ was nowhere to be found, but a recent visit to Scotlands’ People produced the following burial information with a birth year of 1745:

“Mary Wanklin, mother-in-law to Mr Wolves, buried 3 Aug 1823, age 78,  Parish of Langholm and Staplegorton”

So might Mary Wanklin be the mother of Mary (or Margaret) Blackmere / Blackmore, and grandmother to Mary Anne Wolves?

So far, the only close online surname match (from Find my Past) seems to be :
“Mary Blakemore, married Richard Wanklyn on 6 Feb 1787, church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Aston Juxta, Birmingham, Warwickshire”,
which would fit with others’ view of Warwickshire origins.

This would be quite a late marriage to produce Mary / Margaret Blackmere / Blackmore, maybe hints at either an earlier illigitimate birth or a second marriage to Richard Wanklyn

—-

I could attach an image of the screenshot mentioned, but new to the forum so not sure of copyright rules.

Mary