Author Topic: leicester shut down  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
leicester shut down
« on: Monday 29 June 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
and I dont mean Holiday time

a.n.other fortnight or so.. due to ignorance and ...***********

Lockdown -- so things that meant we were getting back to normall or near enough.. are now closing again..

One fella in the shop today  had a trolley full of guess what.............. 

its insanity

xin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: leicester shut down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832912.18

My forecast at reply 1.  Will not surprise me to hear of other towns affected within the next 2-3 weeks.

Despite the high death toll - people just do not listen and we have seen so many incidences of this on beaches etc. 

My local supermarket takes all precautions possible - trolleys are passed to you having been sanitised and there is a hand sanitiser with a large notice as you enter.  Hand baskets have been withdrawn for health reasons.

A woman in front of me on Friday was wearing a face mask - fair enough.  However - I somehow expect somebody wearing a face mask to be that more hygienically careful but she wasn't wearing disposible gloves and she walked right past the hand sanitiser.  So what was the point of the mask??

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Purpose of a mask is to prevent a person spraying droplets on other people or surfaces.
Usefulness of wearing gloves is debateable.
I've noticed most people walk past the hand sanitiser. I've had a few hand-sanitiser mishaps. If I'm going directly to a shop, I wash my hands before leaving home and upon returning. Been taking my own sanitiser recently.

Cowban

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
I feel really sorry for the people of Leicester but what is the alternative? Only a complete lockdown again for the whole of England.

It would seem from the news that the main problem is the lack of forewarning and lack of proper statistics to back this up.

I wonder how they are going to enforce it? Maybe just have to rely on the citizens common sense..... again.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
One middleaged businessman who was being interviewed said he was very frightened because all the victims were from his community, which are of South Asian origin.  The news report also mentioned children were included in the numbers, although no age group was mentioned;  but as young children are advertised as not being in any danger, I'm surmising that those affected could be hefty teenagers.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
I thought Matt Hancock said there was an unusual number of children testing positive.
He also mentioned schools being closed which would indicate younger children.
I think he also reiterated the belief that children usually didn’t get it but that they could spread it. Yet we are being asked to send children to school.
Without proper testing etc, how can it be managed?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
As Leicester is a city of high muliculture and looking at the areas identified that seem to be displaying where the most cases have also been identifed

"A report by Public Health England found that other things might also mean you are more likely to get seriously ill from coronavirus.
These include:
    your age – your risk increases as you get older
    being a man
    where in the country you live – the risk is higher in poorer areas
    being from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic background
    being born outside of the UK or Ireland
    living in a care home
    having certain jobs, such as nurse, taxi driver and security guard"

Maybe other cities where there are a high level of those more at risk, need to take notice and follow Leicesters lead and not move too quickly too soon....I was very surprised to read Leicesters children are already back in school and they are now having to be closed again. 

I have not been back to my birth place ( Leicester) for at least 10 yrs but my heart goes out to Leicester lad's and lassy's.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
From what I've been reading, the majority of infections in the Leicester outbreak are amongst young people who are at school; and it has been alluded to that the reopening of schools could be the reason for this outbreak.  This is an interesting and worrying development, if the government are going to continue with their plan to fine parents who refuse to send their children back to school at the beginning of September.  Had I still got children of school age, I would be very reluctant to send them to school - particularly if the outbreak in Leicester is proved to be related to the re-opening of schools.  The government need to ensure that outbreaks such as this are identified early (the spike was first reported on 9th June but no suitable action was taken until this week).  I am sure Leicester won't be the only place with these problems.  Worrying times for all of us, take care everyone.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 00:22 BST (UK) »
From what I've been reading, the majority of infections in the Leicester outbreak are amongst young people who are at school; and it has been alluded to that the reopening of schools could be the reason for this outbreak.

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere - it is a bit of a puzzle.

If it is schools increasing the number of pupils (most of them never actually closed) which led to a surge in cases then you'd expect all places where schools started to have more pupils at the same time (i.e. nearly everywhere in England) to likewise be experiencing a surge in cases.

As (so far) it seems to only be Leicester experiencing this phenomenon it leads to three possible conclusions:-
1) The schools in Leicester have done something completely different to the rest of England.
2) There are similar surges happening in towns and cities all over England, but nobody has noticed.
3) It isn't related to children going back to school.

It has been reported that there are some specific suburbs within Leicester which are affected more than others (and these suburbs will be having enhanced restrictions),  That seems to suggest the causation is something happening on a very localised basis, rather than the outcome of a national policy decision.

Hopefully we will find out more before too long.