Author Topic: leicester shut down  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: leicester shut down
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
It's very worrying for the people of Leicester and more so if it is children going to school that could be carriers....
I worry as my two grabchimdren 4 & 7 are returning to school on Monday Mon - Thurs for 3 hours a day... they live in Lindon and there is a diverse community in their school too...
I'm sure there will be more cities/ town around the country that may incur similar sanctions but hope they don't faff around as they appear to have done in this instance and lock down sooner to stop transmission of this dreadful virus.
I did hear a few Leicester residents who were business owners being interviewed on the radio and felt sorry that they were just hoping to get back to work and now not going to be able to... but one woman's comments I found a little staggering when she said... ' I don't know why they've picked on us'....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 03:23 BST (UK) »
Area's of Melbourne back in lockdown as of 2359LT tonight too by Postcode....  Some fool Victorian's not obeying the regs!

bitzar
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 04:27 BST (UK) »
One fella in the shop today  had a trolley full of guess what.............. 

Yes, apparently it is happening here again and not just in Melbourne.

This is from 4 days ago and the reason cases have spiked and the military brought in.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/coronavirus-melbourne-testing-blitz-underway-in-hotspot-suburbs/12393984

I hope they enjoy their time stuck at home while everyone else in the country is getting back to normal.

Debra  :)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 06:17 BST (UK) »
There was a report that some 900 people in the hotspot areas had REFUSED to be tested. Also that people were being allowed out of the two week quarantine who also refused to be tested. :-X :-X :-X

If they refuse as a group, they could find that the government could go to level 4 lockdown, not level 3 as at present.

AC

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
It's very worrying for the people of Leicester and more so if it is children going to school that could be carriers....
I worry as my two grabchimdren 4 & 7 are returning to school on Monday Mon - Thurs for 3 hours a day... they live in Lindon and there is a diverse community in their school too...
I'm sure there will be more cities/ town around the country that may incur similar sanctions but hope they don't faff around as they appear to have done in this instance and lock down sooner to stop transmission of this dreadful virus.
I did hear a few Leicester residents who were business owners being interviewed on the radio and felt sorry that they were just hoping to get back to work and now not going to be able to... but one woman's comments I found a little staggering when she said... ' I don't know why they've picked on us'....

Caroline

I wondered if it was because of testing that the children’s results were positive rather than because they had symptoms. Thus the statement re ‘spreading’.
I also saw one lady who was so upset because her business could not open - maybe the same lady.
There has been a call this morning from local government leaders for better and earlier information. I think It might be because Leicester has been highlighted, the sense of being ‘picked on’ whilst other areas may be similar has arisen.
In one of the last briefings, Mr Hancock mentioned a Yorkshire authority and there were several twitter posts saying this was new information to those areas.
I wish they had kept the briefings, especially with the scientists, even though at times they were exasperating.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:14 BST (UK) »
I'd be reluctant to say Schools re Leicester, not far from here.

We are seeing a rediculous change in attitude now mainly on TV toward social distancing by some.

Also on Midlands TV / Radio Leicester has had marching etc.

I've started wearing a surgical mask in the last two weeks to go food shopping, it seems some now think they are invincible!

This is not over according to Professor Chris Whitty CMO (England) saying recently that we are only half-way through the pandemic.

The UK Government have on order 2.2 Billion pieces of PPE.

We will only get back to near normal when people accept that Covid is still in our / their Communities and give the disease the greatest respect it deserves!

Mark

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
In a channel 4 (I think) news report last night, it was said they had received information about a large number of Leicester textile factories continuing to operate during lockdown against the rules. The reporter spoke to one owner who said 'well we have to make money' then shut the door in her face.

They also mentioned the fact that in certain areas there were many inter-generational households, houses of multiple occupancy and high levels of deprivation.

The Times carried a photo yesterday of about 40 young men in Leicester, some playing an informal game of cricket together in a field while others stood shoulder to shoulder on the sidelines.

I hope the families of the children testing positive are being thoroughly checked out.

I see on the BBC news website today photos of a funeral attended by Sinn Fein members including the deputy First minister of NI, with thousands lining the streets.

And my daughter tells me some of her friends are saying 'it' s all over now isn't it?' & putting pictures on social media of grandparents and great grandparents hugging their babies, children having play dates, no social distancing.

So maybe I've misunderstood  ??? 

Added - don't forget the outspoken Mayor of Leicester who was visiting his lover's house during lockdown.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting perspective in the "surge" in cases in Leicester at the following link:-

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

Could this be similar to the "surge" recently reported in Sweden where a rise in testing produced a higher number of positive results while hospital admissions, icu admissions and deaths continued to decline? If so this looks rather like government over reaction which will be to the long term detriment of the people of Leicester.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
I'm not ignoring the Leicester thing, but can our friends in Australia give suggestions as to why there has been this outbreak in Melbourne? Australia came out of lockdown much earlier than us in the uk? Is it the testing is revealing those who have no symptoms. I'd like to understand better, though realise that none of us understand this ' sneaky germs', as my 3 year old grandson calls it. Thanks.
North East of England