Author Topic: leicester shut down  (Read 3990 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: leicester shut down
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
Interesting perspective in the "surge" in cases in Leicester at the following link:-

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

Could this be similar to the "surge" recently reported in Sweden where a rise in testing produced a higher number of positive results while hospital admissions, icu admissions and deaths continued to decline? If so this looks rather like government over reaction which will be to the long term detriment of the people of Leicester.

I'm afraid it is the numbers being admitted to Hospital.

Some hospitals have had ZERO or a few Covid cases for a while.

The hospital here recently had 20 Covid admissions in a day (to add to 30 already there). Our County Public Health Official was grilled on Newsnight recently and it seems some of the Covid admissions are from the neighbouring County of Leicestershire according to news reports.

I have just heard our town is not on a list of 30 places being investigated.

Mark

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
...If so this looks rather like government over reaction which will be to the long term detriment of the people of Leicester.

Given the crucifixion dished out to the Government for not 'locking down' soon enough* the first time round, it is kind of understandable that any hint of a rise in the infection rate and the Government may well over react.

Because for some people even the most absurd over reaction still won't be fast/strict/simple/well planned/[insert alternative complaint] enough.

(*Even though a very large percentage of the most vulnerable were free to enter personal 'lockdown' by their own choosing - and were advised to do so - long before official 'lockdown' started)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
In one of the last briefings, Mr Hancock mentioned a Yorkshire authority and there were several twitter posts saying this was new information to those areas.

If it is the same story then all that happened is Hancock made a mistake and said "Keighley" when he meant to say "Kirklees".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53235015

I wish they had kept the briefings, especially with the scientists, even though at times they were exasperating.

I don't find it the least bit surprising they stopped holding live briefings - not least when the slightest slip of the tongue sets of a tw*tter/media storm as it has with "Keighley-gate".

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
He did say Kirklees when I heard him and hopefully it was just an error (Keighley) as you say and he really was and is always aware of developments in the country.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have seen pictures in the news this morning  of people supposedly partying in Leicester, how silly, I am sure if they had been sensible over just a few more weeks things might not be as they are in that area

Today I went shopping in a supermarket, I was tbe only one with a mask , what does that say?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
He did say Kirklees when I heard him and hopefully it was just an error (Keighley) as you say and he really was and is always aware of developments in the country.

He has a whole department of civil servants working on the issue, so hopefully he will have the information he needs to know, when he needs to know it.

The main point is the human brain has an amazing ability to make us say or write something incorrectly when we know absolutely what it was we intended to say.  For some people that ability exists throughout life.  For others it develops as we get older.  I'd be willing to bet there would be no members of this forum who could honestly say they have never said the name of [one thing] when they really meant [another thing].

The problem for politicians is whereas we mortals normally only have friends or family asking "did you really mean [thing]?", the politicians have an army of journalists and social media 'experts' waiting to pounce on the slightest error as proof that the politician is a bumbling fool.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your explanation.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
In one of the last briefings, Mr Hancock mentioned a Yorkshire authority and there were several twitter posts saying this was new information to those areas.

If it is the same story then all that happened is Hancock made a mistake and said "Keighley" when he meant to say "Kirklees".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53235015

I wish they had kept the briefings, especially with the scientists, even though at times they were exasperating.

I don't find it the least bit surprising they stopped holding live briefings - not least when the slightest slip of the tongue sets of a tw*tter/media storm as it has with "Keighley-gate".

similar happened when Burnley was mixed up with Barnsley - commentator mentioned that Barnsley had a large ethnic population - it doesn't but Burnley does. 
Makes you wonder just how many other errors are announced and because we don't have local knowledge we don't realise they're inaccurate!