Author Topic: HUNTER surname, late 18C Surrey - where to go from here?  (Read 306 times)

Offline TNGeneWhiz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HUNTER surname, late 18C Surrey - where to go from here?
« on: Monday 29 June 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
I have not done much with pre-19th Century records in England because most of my folks were not landowners, not tradesmen, and not will testator.  Suddenly, however, I find I have an ancestor who had means.  Now, I don't know where to go for more research!
I'm not looking for someone to do the research -- I need some recommendations on where to find records so I can ferret out the answers regarding acquisition and disposition of landholdings in Surrey and the final distribution of the estate. There was apparently a bankruptcy prior to 1804, and a subsequent William Hunter died in the Islington Workhouse about 1840.

William Hunter's will was executed 24 July 1804 and was probated 22 February 1805 by the PCC (NA Ref. PROB 11/1420/230).  In the will, William Hunter described himself "of Fenchurch Street in the City of London Goldsmith."  His legacies included
  • to his nephew William Hunter, a copyhold estate in the parish of Wandsworth, Surrey, "which I hold of the Manor of Dunsford and late in the tenant? or occupation of Mr. Thomas Phillips gardener deceased and now of Mrs. Susanna Phillips his widow and which copyhold estate I have surrendered to this my last will and testament (to hold to my said nephew his heirs and assigns for ever according to the custom of the said Manor -- this phrase is subject to my mis-interpretation)
  • to his two nieces Mary and Elizabeth Hunter the daughters of my brother Mr. Thomas Hunter  all those? two freehold? messuages or tenaments? and premises? situate standing? and being in the town of Croydon in the county of Surrey aforesaid and now in the ___ or occupation of Mr. John Harris Surgeon to hold unto my said nieces their heirs and assigns forever...
  • to his brother Thomas Hunter £500 ____ ___ Consolidated Bank Limited? part of a large ____ now standing in my name in the books of the Governor and Company of the Bank of England
  • to his sister in law Mary Hunter wife of said brother Thomas Hunter £500 _____ Consolidated Bank annuities? ____ also? standing in my name in the books of the Governor and Company of the Bank of England and ____ ____ ____ that the____ shall not be subject or liable to the debts ____ ____ or ____ of ____ present (this section is difficult)
  • to Elizabeth Wills (Mills?) alias Shutt? £20
  • to Mrs Pittman daughter of the late Mrs Saml? Lloyd the sum of £20
  • to Mrs Elizabeth Grafton (Crafton?) of Land? in the county of Surrey £20
  • to his maid
  • appears the remainder (difficult to read) to nephew William Hunter and nieces Mary and Elizabeth Hunter
He requested that he buried at "St. Gabriel Fenchurch as near as may be to the grave of my honoured parents."  I have a listing of MI's of Hunters in that yard.

He nominated his brother, Thomas Hunter, and nephew, William Hunter to be Executors.

Witnesses appear to be ___ Thomas Bearbinder Lane, hilip Morshad, Richd Simpson his Clerk

Oath was given to William Hunter, nephew, but it appears Thomas Hunter, brother, did not apply to administer the will.

A marginal note states as follows:

On 13th January 1818. Admon with the will annexed of the Goods Chattels and Credits of William Hunter formerly of Lombard Street afterwards of Fenchurch Street but late of Gracechurch Street London deced (sic) left unadmin'd by William Hunter deced whilst living the nephew one of the Exers was granted to Mary Hunter and Elizabeth Hunter spinsters the nieces the surviving residuary legatees being first sworn duly to adminr Thomas Hunter the brother the other Exer died without having taken upon himself the Probate and Exon thereof.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUNTER surname, late 18C Surrey - where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
National archives Discovery.
"William Hunter" and Goldsmith , brings up 3 hits - one of which is the will you quote.
Also another will in 1762 for the same name also a goldsmith. Not beyond the realms of possibility this was the younger man's father. This should be on Ancestry.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=william%20hunter&_or1=goldsmith&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

You could change the search parameters to see if anything else comes up.

Dunsford manor records:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F237133

These seem to be spread over several different archives I see, quite a lot at Surrey History Centre.
They must have a catalogue which would be worth digging around in to see what else you can find.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a/A13531418

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline TNGeneWhiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the guidance!  I am off to do more sleuthing...

Offline TNGeneWhiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
After a bit of browsing in various documents, it appears William Hunter's 1805 probate wasn't settled.  In 1818, administration was granted to his living nieces and legatees, Mary and Elizabeth Hunter.  An auction was held in 1818.  Where would I find the documents surrounding the final settlement of William Hunter's probate?

Also, the Wandsworth property listed in the will dated 1804 was still in the occupancy of Thomas Phillips (no doubt his widow), as late as 1830 -- identified as a house and land.  Ancestry has Surrey Land Tax Records, 1780-1832, but it is not possible to search by owner for some reason -- though the owner's name appears in the results.  I can't find an on-line Wandsworth directory or map of residents for the period.
How do I determine where the property was and how it was transferred to new owner(s)?