Author Topic: Eva Elizabeth Crosson  (Read 595 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eva Elizabeth Crosson
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 03:38 BST (UK) »
21 Mar 1906 at Huntsville, Ontario Elizabeth Eva Chapelle d/o Edward Chapelle and Levissa Rawn married John Saunders Crosson.  The surname Chapelle has various spellings as well as Lachapelle although in records Elizabeth Eva never seems to use the "la" in spelling her maiden name.

Her husband, John Saunders Crosson, served in the Forestry Service in WWI and in his military file his death is given as 27 Feb 1964.   That led me to a grave in Maplewood Cemetery, Normanby Township, Grey County.  John Saunders Crosson 1886 - 1964 with Annie Eva buried with him 1891 - 1976.  I was satisfied that Annie Eva was sister to my husband's grandmother.

However there is a death certificate for Eva Elizabeth Crosson of Orchard, Normanby Township, Grey County born 8 Jun 1884, d/o Edward Chappelle and blank Rawn.  Informant was Elizabeth Eva's son-in-law.  Of her children only one daughter survived to adulthood.  Death was 16 Oct 1948 with a burial Mt. Pleasant, Toronto.

Is there an obituary for Eva Elizabeth Crosson?  Or a remarriage for John Saunders Crosson?  Obviously the 1948 death certificate fits for the person related to my husband.  Now I am intrigued as to who is in the grave with John Saunders.

I don't need anything else for this couple. 

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Elizabeth Crosson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hopefully someone on rootschat can find the obituaries of both John Saunders 1964 and Annie E in 1976.
No marriages are on line that I can see after 1948.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Obituary for Eva Elizabeth Crosson in the Toronto Star on Oct 18 1948.  It says she died in Orchard, Ontario on October 16 1948.  Eva Elizabeth Chappelle, wife of John Crosson, mother of Edna (Mrs Victor A Crawford), Toronto.  Interment Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
Neither Edna (2010) nor Victor's (1971) obit says anything about John Crosson.

RK

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking and finding Elizabeth Eva's obituary.  Obviously John Saunders remarried.  Strange that the name is so similiar to his first wife's name.  I will see if contacting the cemetery will reveal anything of interest.
Thanks again.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome :) :)

Voters list 1957 shows John Crosson and Annie Crosson in Mount Forest.   He must have married Annie between 1948 and 1957.  I don't see anything more in the Toronto papers.   

RK

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Elizabeth Crosson COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Haven't found contact information for Maplewood Cemetery yet but will keep looking.
There was an Annie Eva Stewart, d/o William Peter Stewart and Mary Elizabeth Braun/Brown, born 12 Jan 1891 Normanby, Grey county which might be Annie.  In 1921 she is living with brother Jacob in Normanby, still single.  Online trees show her as a wife to Roy Crosson and bouncing between Saskatchewan in 1916 and Ontario in 1921.  Doubt if this her although the father of John Saunders Crosson, David, did have relations that ended up in Saskatchewan.  Never really kept track of that as it wasn't a direct line. 

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 03:13 BST (UK) »
I think you are right about Annie Eva Stewart.  I don't have access to Ancestry trees (despite the free Ancestry Canada Day records :))...but I can see someone has posted a scanned obit for Jacob Stewart of  Mount Forest, died in 1969, under public member photos.   If I squint really tightly, looking at the mini thumbnail pic that is visible - I can see that it says he is survived by his sister Mrs John (Annie) Crosson of Egremont Township.   :) :).   Jacob is buried in Maplewood Cemetery.

If you have access to Ancestry trees, maybe you can see the obit in full size.

RK

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for finding that!  Your eyes are good.  It does say he is survived by a sister Mrs. John (Annie) Crosson.  I am satisfied that John remarried Annie Eva Stewart after his first wife's death.  It is not a direct line but I hate it when I make a mistake and then it becomes a fact on many trees and is never changed by the multitude.

I had started following Elizabeth Eva because my father-in-law said his mother had nursed someone in Toronto who was sick.  That person recovered and his mother got sick shortly after and died.  Her death registration from 1917 has never surfaced even though the family was compliant in registering events.  The personnel file I sent for for John Saunders Crosson years ago detailed the changes of addresses for his wife in Toronto for payment of salary.  Elizabeth Eva then went to Monkland to live with her married sister and received payments there in the timeframe that supported my father-in-laws story of nursing a sick relative from not in Toronto.  Guess I wanted to make sure I had an end to that family's story.

Thanks again.