Author Topic: Jenkin Powell Defynnock or Llywell 1708  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Powell Defynnock or Llywell 1708
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh Llanfi,  glad to have given you a few useful snippets.  I'll have another rummage in my notes.  Wish I still had the title deeds to Bear House (formerly The Bear Inn) but obviously they had to be handed to the purchaser.  As you say, funny how clues come up.  The Nicholas family were quite active in the area, and there is a house at Halfway called Tre Nicholas which I assume also belonged to them.  Will delve in the archives once more to see what I can find.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 July 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
Here are my transcribed notes about the Nicholas family.  Bear in mind (no pun intended) that I made the notes because I was researching the history of The Bear Inn, and the families connected to it, hence I didn't really delve into the background of the others, but the attached may be of some interest.    I see there is a Richard Nicholas in there but I've no idea of his date of birth, only that he would have been born at Bear House since his father was publican there at the time.

The Nicholas family of Marchogdir/Ynysmarchog and Bear House, Trecastle

1   Thomas Nicholas of Marchogdir/Ynysmarchog died in about 1700.  He had issue:

(i)  Jenkin Thomas Nicholas
(ii) Rees Thomas Nicholas born about 1697 Ynysmarchog, died 1801
(iii)  Nicholas Thomas Nicholas, Yeoman, Ynysmarchog
(iv)  William Thomas Nicholas

2  Nicholas Thomas Nicholas, Yeoman, Ynysmarchog  married Catherine Roberts (died 1730).  They had issue:

(i)  John born 1715 Ynysmarchog
(ii)  William born 1718
(iii)  Thomas 1722-1795

John Nicholas b. 1715 Ynysmarchog (i)  married Margaret.  They had a son Nicholas Nicholas born 1743.  He married Magdalen born 1748.

3  Thomas Nicholas born 1722 (iii) married Ann.  He was a skinner and glover at Tre Escob (part of Trecastle where The Bear Inn is situated).  They had children:

(i)  Thomas Robert Nicholas I 1751-1826.
(ii)  Howell Nicholas
(iii)  Nicholas Nicholas
(iv)  Margaret Nicholas

4  Thomas Robert Nicholas I was a skinner and glover living at The Bear.  He married (1) Joan Watkins, daughter of Richard Watkins, gent, of Brynmawr.  They had children:

(i)  Richard Nicholas
(ii) Robert Nicholas
(iii)  Thomas Robert Nicholas II (1777-1815)

He married (2) Letitia Price of The White Hart (daughter of Josias Bates of London) in 1798 and moved from The Bear to The White Hart.

5  Thomas Robert Nicholas II stayed to run The Bear after his father moved to The White Hart.  He married Sarah Morgan,  (1773-1858), daughter of Thomas Morgan of Nantypistyl and Penrhiw.

They had issue:
(i) Joan born 1800 who married Thomas Evans of Castle House
(ii) Thomas Robert Nicholas III b. 1802
(iii) Rees 1803 who became a bank manager in Cardigan
(iv)  Richard 1806

6  Thomas Robert Nicholas III lived at The Bear and was the licensee.  He married Mary Davies on 20 Aug 1824.   Thomas Robert Nicholas III died in 1826 at the age of 24, the same year that his daughter Joan was born. 

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 July 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
As an aside, I don't know if you ever did find the location of Penvay, but it's shown here on Coflein:

https://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/23492/details/penvay-milestone-near-trecastle