Author Topic: Trying to find the parents of Elizabeth Farmer/Samuel Whatson  (Read 134 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the parents of Elizabeth Farmer/Samuel Whatson
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the parents of both Elizabeth Farmer and Samuel Whatson (Watson) who married on 25 October 1796 at Westham, Sussex with their 6 children being born from then until 1810.

So far without success but wondered if anyone locally could help?

Both Elizabeth and Samuel appear to have been born c1770, she died in 1848; him a year earlier in 1847.

Having looked for "Farmer" deaths in Withyham (I think this is the old name for Westham) I can see 4 potential deaths for Elizabeth's parents - all buried at St Michael with Angels at Withyham -

William born c1753 buried 2 June 1816 age 63
Richard born c1754 buried 11 Aug 1821 age 67
Jane born c1746 buried 16 Aug 1815 age 69
Anne born c1751 buried 29 July 1835 age 84.

Of these 4 - the only name that has been carried through to the children is William - is this is a possible clue?

Concerning Samuel I cannot find any possible burials of his parents in the Withyham area.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Alan

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the parents of Elizabeth Farmer/Samuel Whatson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, there are no baptisms for either Elizabeth Farmer or Samuel W(h)atson around 1770 at St. Mary, Westham I'm afraid.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the baptism information. It would appear a difficult task to take this any further.

However, before I call it a day, can I ask you to check for any "Farmer" and "W(h)atson" entries in nearby parishes say between 1765 and 1775 - perhaps this may help me in looking for clues to other members of the families.

Secondly, I don't know if you can see the 1796 marriage information, but if so are there any names of witnesses shown?

Hoping you can unearth something to help me move forward with this.

Alan

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Secondly, I don't know if you can see the 1796 marriage information, but if so are there any names of witnesses shown?

Hi
Don't think any images are available on FamilySearch.
Sussex Marriage Index say they were both of the parish, and the witnesses were Thomas Muggins and John Christian (sadly no idea if either was a "regular" or not)
Marriage was by banns.

Westham and Withyham are two different places.
John

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the baptism information. It would appear a difficult task to take this any further.

However, before I call it a day, can I ask you to check for any "Farmer" and "W(h)atson" entries in nearby parishes say between 1765 and 1775 - perhaps this may help me in looking for clues to other members of the families.

Alan

I have had a quick look at baptisms in the parishes contiguous to Westham of Hailsham, Willingdon & Pevensey but no Farmers or Whatsons in any of these in that 10 year period.

However as Jon says Withyham is a completely different parish in the north of the county, Westham is in the south.  Do you have a specific reference to Withyham for this family?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 10:16 BST (UK) »

HI,

Thank you both very much for your time but it looks like a lost cause.

Not being from Sussex or the area, I am afraid didn't realise Withyham and Westham were different places but the family roots are from Westham.

I can't seem to get any further back with either the Watsons or Farmer families despite the 1841 census saying they were both "of the county".

Thanks again.

Alan