Author Topic: Where is / was Dog Pool South Normanton?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Where is / was Dog Pool South Normanton?
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to place Dog Pool where many of my families of interest used to live. There are references which usually state "around the Dog Pool, along Water Lane and particularly up the narrow alleys around the Old Market place."  Obviously I can see Water Lane on the old OS maps of the area but cannot definitively place either Dog Pool or the Old Market Place.

On my OS map the other streets in the block are Peel Street, Duke Street, Albert Street and South Street.

** and supplementary question: Where was Brickyard?

Any help?

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is / was Dog Pool South Normanton?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
I can't see Dog Pool but Market Place is shown on this map https://maps.nls.uk/view/114588920#zoom=6&lat=8707&lon=2274&layers=BT

Kay

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hmm.. I think that's the "new" Market Place. What I'm looking for is the "Old" Market Place which was apparently on the other side of the village somewhere near or on Water Lane.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
There is a Facebook group which might be able to help - Pinxton and South Normanton Local History Society.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
Also found this reference
Ilkeston Pioneer 01 November 1866
Board of Guardians

The Clerk informed the Board that the Dog Pool South Normanton, and also the bad state drainage existing at Hucknall Huthwaiite, had not yet been removed, and no steps whatever taken by the surveyors of the highways to get them removed.  The board gave instructions to take immediate action to get the nuiscances removed at both places

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
** and supplementary question: Where was Brickyard?
A Brick Field & Brick Works are shown here [1879]
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101602743
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

My understanding is Old Market Place was somewhere near Water Lane and modern day Sporton Lane.

Here is some interesting information.... plus another Ball marriage.... John Rowe's 1st marriage to Catherine Ball in 1812 at  South Normanton.

http://henryhuskinson.weebly.com/rowe---townroe.html

Also from the link;
"During the second half of the seventeenth and first half of the eighteenth century, South Normanton had two main groups of manual labourers; framework knitters and miners. Each group had its own traditions and culture. They rarely mixed with each other and even less with the farmers. The framework knitters were nicknamed 'shiners'. This derived from the state of their trouser seats after continuously and monotonously working at their machines for 14 hours each day. Their homes tended to be congregated around the Dog Pool, along Water Lane, and up narrow alleys, gennels and yards, particularly around the Old Market Place (just off modern day Sporton Lane)."

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila

It was John Ro(w)e who married Catherine Ball on September 6th 1812. (Carol Ryan's transcription without the "w"!). She was buried on March 13th 1838 (this time with the "w") but unfortunately no age was given. I haven't been able to trace a baptism for her and no witnesses entered on the marriage register so can't tell who her parents were.

I must admit that having looked at Sporton Lane on the newer maps, I wouldn;t have placed the Old Market Place there. The description is further south - and I'm assuming would have been somewhere near where the old brickworks were -  ie close to Ball Hill

Cheers Alan

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

You are correct re John Rowe.... I have amended that  :-[

The witnesses were Joseph Clark; Mary Brown X & John Brown.

I also agree regarding the Market Place, it does seem out of place there.
I am trawling through stuff I saved from years ago, so I will see if I can find anything else.