Author Topic: Census - A form No. 301 refused  (Read 2436 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census - A form No. 301 refused
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there is a summary or covering page / card somewhere for these census returns, with the usual identifiers on it (Poor Law Union, DED etc.) and someone back in the day has written these words as a comment on that page / card (but by chance, in the immediate vicinity of the townland / street), simply to highlight that the return for no. 301 is missing, then someone transcribing the documentation for the NAI has literally interpreted the words as part of the townland / street.  It's the only such instance I can find in the census so far.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there is a summary or covering page / card somewhere for these census returns, with the usual identifiers on it (Poor Law Union, DED etc.) and someone back in the day has written these words as a comment on that page / card (but by chance, in the immediate vicinity of the townland / street), simply to highlight that the return for no. 301 is missing, then someone transcribing the documentation for the NAI has literally interpreted the words as part of the townland / street.  It's the only such instance I can find in the census so far.

That's exactly what I think happened, the enumerator made a note next to the address and the transcribers included in on all the addresses but only Anne O Connor refused and her form A is number 301. 

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, it must have been as it seems to be added on the electronic record for the whole area when the original scans just have this for one address.  It confused me but makes sense now after your help.

Thank you again for all for your help. 

Offline Whelts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Just found this question, did we get an answer? I have it a few times in my family in Donegal.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 January 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

Offline Whelts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 January 22 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

Good, what was it? Because the previous answers referred to a single person. I have quite a few in my tree with the same annotation on the census.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 January 22 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Read the tread again and look at the links.
The entire townland has A Form number 301 refused on each family's transcription page, but it only refers to one family. In this case Anne O'Connor who refused to fill in form 301
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000667724/

If your family's form number does not match the form refused number than the note does not relate to your family. You can look at the House and Building Return to see who refused to fill our the form.

Offline Whelts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 January 22 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that and yes I understand that someone refused in the household. I'm wondering who did, as it's not on the census for my family. Why did they refuse? And why did so many refuse in Buncranna (more than 306)?

I have many other family members in Cork ........... this refusal never occurred.

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Buncranna/Buncranna__A_form_No__301_refused_/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 January 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Only one person/family in Buncranna refused. Anne O'Connor.

As your family has a Census return than they didn't refuse. They filled out their form as did all the other families in Buncranna, only Anne O'Connor's family refused.

The transcriber of the census messed up and attached the note about Anne O'Connor's form to everyone in Buncranna.