Author Topic: FTM 2010 problem  (Read 199 times)

Offline ribenton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTM 2010 problem
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I'm a computer illiterate who desperately needs help with FTM 2010 operating on Windows10. Having bought a new laptop I had all the data transferred from my old laptop to the new one. In my ignorance I made a complete hash trying to open them with any programme except the right one which wasn't downloaded at the time consequently when I open a file it opens with either Wordpad or Media player. Although I have FTM 2010 installed the files will not open. However when I try to open FTM I get a message that a file was not closed down properly last time I used it and it needs to be compacted etc etc. This I understand but FTM will not open so how am I able to compact the file. Hopefully all is not lost and there is some kind person able to point me in the right direction to resurrect the whole mess.

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2010 problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
Right-click on the File and choose 'Open with', select the program you want to open it with. If it is not shown in the list, then select 'Choose another app'.

Offline ribenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response Midase although FTM is downloaded on the laptop it doesn't show up on either of the actions you suggested.

Online Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
There are many ways to locate an app, program or files on a computer.  An alternative to Windows own Search facility that I've used for years is a Free program from Voidtools called 'SearchEverything' and it does that extremely well.  When it locates your FTM program or Files you can use the Right-Click , as previously mentioned, for a drop down menu to then select ' Open With' and choose an offered option or search your computer for a Program which will open your files.
https://www.voidtools.com/
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline ribenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
Please excuse my late reply Ian, I will certainly try your suggestion.