Author Topic: Murray Lincoln's Inn Registers  (Read 752 times)

Offline Lynne Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Murray Lincoln's Inn Registers
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your assistance.  I am totally stumped. i will put it all here because all I can do is hope... something out there will fall into place.

I am trying to Find information on Michael Murray - (later a bricklayer b 1830? Lincoln's Inn) son of James Murray (occ Bricklayer).

From the marriage certificate we have Michael Murray of age Bachelor & Labourer of 10 King Street DL which I think is Drury Lane, The parish Church St Giles in the fields married  Hannah Bryan of age Spinster of Union Court, Father David Bryan Skin die.    We believe this to be Johanna Brian dau of David & Catherine Brian.

From their Sons Marriage Certificate - James Murray abt 1855 who married Elizabeth Dial(s) however her real name (Family documents being Caroline Elizabeth Dial) we know his father is Micheal Murray Bricklayer deceased) I have Michaels Death details being 31/12/1871,St Andrews Eastern Holborn.  He died at 10 Dorrington Street. I believe his Daughter (ellen who is James Sister) was the one who was informant and present at the death.  this family has so many secrets and its taken me over 15 years just to get this far.  any help would such a help.

If I can find michaels birth, his mother and any siblings I might be able to peace so many things together.

My Family so far is this

Michael Murray -Johanna Brian m 1851 we think this is them but her name on marriage is hannah Bryan.
Had Possibly a johanna 1853? -Ellen 1854 - James 1855??? - Johanna 1859 lived saffron hill/Holborn.  Family story is we have Scottish in the family somewhere?  We know Johanna Bryan's parent were irish.

James is my Great Great Grandfather we have No Birth Date or registration that I can find he was a news vendor - Onson Thomas' Marriage certificate (1897) No death Info but died before 1912 somewhere in Middlesex I am sure - I cannot find on GRO either Mother maiden name Brian/O Brien/Bryan??

James Married Caroline Elizabeth Dial (Elizabeth on marriage certificate) in 18/02/1879 Sardinian Church, St Giles. [47 Great Wild Street, St Giles]
James and Elizabeth (caroline Elizabeth) Had Thomas Murray born 10 June 1879
and according to census a David Murray born 1887/1888 but I can find his birth either. He apparently married a Suzannah Stevens in 1912 (thats how I know James died before that date.

Thomas Murray born 10 June 1879 is my Great Grandad-He married an Annie Sewell in 1897 - I have their marriage certificate. Oh what a story this is.... Thomas and Annie had a child Thomas William in 1897 who died in 1900. A daughter Catherine in December 1899 who married an Albert Brichard and a son was born to Annie (frederick William Clare 20 May 1909) fathered by a Frederick William Clare but was still married to Thomas yet claimed the surname Clare on his baptism, and then in 1912 My grandad was born to Thomas and Annie Again 27th April, 1912. You guessed it - I am confused.

Anyway I have since found that Thomas (1879) did go to war but we are not sure what year. He died in egypt of apendicitis in January 1919 still in service. His next of kin was listed as his mother Elizabeth Murray of 72 Fernddale street Tottenham which we know is a family address.

We do not have annie (sewell) & thomas together in 1911 census she is at her mothers under sewell and he is with his mother and brother david, and daughter Catherine. they just disappear.

I know when Thomas Snr died 1919 that his son Thomas (1912) was 7. Apparently Annie "was placed into Banstead Hospital in 1920 then Cane hill in 1939 where she died in 1943. Verfied by death certificate signed by son Frederick William Clare.

WHO OR WHERE did Thomas William Murray live with from age 8/9 years of age? until his marriage in 1935 to Elsie May Wigger? 

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME....

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lincoln's Inn Registers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Lots of Rootschatters will want to help, so perhaps the best thing would be to ask a moderator to split off your new post into a new thread where it will be found. I can make that request for you if it would be helpful?

If he wasn’t a barrister he won’t be in the registers of Lincoln’s Inn, which is the rather narrow scope of this thread.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to Find information on Michael Murray - (later a bricklayer b 1830? Lincoln's Inn) son of James Murray (occ Bricklayer).

Not Lincoln’s Inn itself, but ...

Sardinian Chapel (Roman Catholic), Lincoln’s Inn Fields
(translated from Latin)
On the 11th day of July 1830 was baptised Michael, son of James and Mary Murray, married couple; he was born on the 4th day of July 1830; the godparents were Daniel Savage and Margaret Savage.  By me, Walter William O’Connor

Offline Lynne Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Oh Yes Please that would be fabulous .. The family are pretty much all based saffron Hill/Clerkenwell/Holborn/finsbury -  10 King Street, Drury Lane, verulam Street, Pine Street, Upper Union Court, Francis Court, Grays Inn Road, Great Wild Street, I sincerely thank you for the Micheal Murray Birth and Baptism Information. Bapt 11/7/1830 and birth 4th July,1890 to James and Mary.
Would it also be too much to ask to see if he had siblings also baptised/birth records.
Sincerely Lynne.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Possible sibling, baptised at the same chapel ...

Margaret, daughter of James Murray and Mary, born 4 Jan 1827, baptised 7 Jan 1827; godparents Richard Maguire and Mary Murray

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
This could be that family in 1841 ...

1841 census
HO107/673/6 folio 32 page 56
King Street, St Giles in the Fields
James Murray, 40, Bricklayer
Mary Murray, 40
Bridget Murray, 15
Margaret Murray 14
Michael Murray, 10

Mary Murray, 7
Ellen Murray, 1
(all born Middlesex)

Offline Lynne Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
By George, I think you might be on to something.   BLESS you.  I am in Australia and its 12.34am and I am so tired but so greatful.   I think you may have a good connection here. 
I just need to connect James Murray ???1855???) with Micheal Murray 1830 through birth or baptism and I might just have the correct line.  I DONT SUPPOSE I can stretch our friendship could I.
Lynne.

Offline Lynne Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
May I also ask.... Does the register state, declare or assume nationality of James and Mary please? English/Irish or scottish?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
May I also ask.... Does the register state, declare or assume nationality of James and Mary please? English/Irish or scottish?

No, but in that particular parish, at that date, my money would be on Irish origins.

Possible birth for the youngest child, giving mother’s maiden name as Mason
MURRAY, ELLEN       MASON 
GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY  Volume 01  Page 71

Possible marriage of parents
St Giles in the Fields, 18 July 1819
James Murray, bachelor, otp
Mary Mason, spinster, otp
after banns; witnesses – Wm Taylor, Richd Coby
(both spouses made their mark)

1851 census
HO107/1508 folio 565 page 10
King Street, St Giles in the Fields
Mary Murray, head, widow, 51 Fruit Hawker, born Middlesex St Giles’
Michael Murray, wife,* unmarried, 20 [no occupation], born Middlesex St Giles’
Mary Ann Murray, daughter, unmarried, 16, born Middlesex St Giles’
Catharine Callin, lodger, widow, 57, Hawker Fruit, born Ireland
Catharine Callin, lodger, unmarried, 24, Hawker Fruit, born Ireland
     *presumably enumerator’s error

Possible death of James Murray ...
MURRAY, JAMES       age 53 
GRO Reference: 1850  S Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY  Volume 01  Page 61

Possible burial
St Giles in the Fields, 1 September 1850
James Murray, aged 53, King Street