Author Topic: Frederick Charles Cullum RASC  (Read 311 times)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Frederick Charles Cullum RASC
« on: Tuesday 30 June 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone could offer me some direction I have a Frederick Charles Cullum b,1899 whom completed Military Service between 1917 and 1920-1. I know he served with Royal Army Service Corp, EMT/63607, 882nd Company at the age of Aged 20 years. I also was told by my mother (now deceased) that Frederick had served with the Monmouthshire Regiment, # 229713.

Could someone what 882 Company did or was also what EMT/63607 mean.

Thank you.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Charles Cullum RASC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
His (very extensive) army files have survived and will take some time to work through:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007280564%2F01547&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7280564%2F71%2F1547

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1114/miuk1914a_084041-01548

His time with ASC was relatively short - he served in the Mechanical Transport (MT) section as a learner driver but was discharged because of poor vision. I think the E bit means he was enlisted post-war, and the MT is Mechanical Transport.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those links will sit and read them when I return home from work.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
For what it is worth, 882 Company RASC was a London based (Ebury Bridge Road) Local Auxiliary Mechanical Transport Company also known as 49 LAMT Company.  A collection of trucks and cars carrying out general transport duties around the capital.

You will find he also served for a little over a year between the Monmouthshire and the RASC in the Labour Corps in an agricultural company.

As ShaunJ says, his file will take some time to work through and you should take care to check dates of the papers as the paperwork is not in a neat date order, indeed the very first sheet is the start of his service in his third unit!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Brilliant thanks for the heads up!