Author Topic: Residents of 22 Tregunter Rd Sth Kensignton circa 1919.  (Read 1336 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Residents of 22 Tregunter Rd Sth Kensignton circa 1919.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
What I know of Catherine was that she was born in the Curragh military camp Ireland 30th May 1894, her father was Jeremiah Delaney who was a labourer/army reservist, her mother was Mary Clancy nee Mullaly.

Birth registration says that she was born 31st May 1894
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1894/02262/1850599.pdf

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much.
I think the key to this 'Catherine/Kathleen' may be purchasing a copy of the marriage cert which would hopefully include a Jeremiah Delaney as her father.

I would not totally discount through having a 5/6 yr age gap, as Catherine would have 'possibly' needed to 'up' her age to aquire a position in such a affluent household when she arrived in London, sometime between 1911 and 1919?

The name Kathleen is a variance of Catherine and is very common in Ireland, I believe she was also known as 'Kitty', which is a variant of Kathleen, so I would see that is a positive.

There was a request sent from Ireland to missing persons section of the News of The World newspaper in 1920 seeking info on Catherines whereabouts, but to no avail.

The marriage details posted in above is the first postive lead to date, so im keeping fingers crossed, I will update asap.
Thank you all again, stay safe.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
The Kathleen Priggen death age in 1934 matches the passenger list age in 1923.

But whether that is grizzly's Catherine can only be checked by certificates I think.

Edward L Priggen was apparently 26 in 1923 on the passenger list, so it is possible that an adjustment was made for his wife to be younger than he was.

Will you keep us posted on results grizzly?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
The Kathleen Priggen death age in 1934 matches the passenger list age in 1923.

But whether that is grizzly's Catherine can only be checked by certificates I think.

Edward L Priggen was apparently 26 in 1923 on the passenger list, so it is possible that an adjustment was made for his wife to be younger than he was.

Will you keep us posted on results grizzly?

I certainly will, im actaully trying to help out a friend of a friend with this, I gave him the marriage details, he is now going to ask a relative in England to purchase the cert, if it contains Jeremiah Delaney as Catherine's father then I think its fair to presume that we are on the right track..so basically its watch this space until then.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
I would not totally discount through having a 5/6 yr age gap, as Catherine would have 'possibly' needed to 'up' her age

Catherine Priggen would have to have "downed" her age to be yours.

From the age(s) given for Mrs Priggen, you would think that her first appearance on the electoral registers would have been in 1929 (when we first see females over 21, rather than just those over 30)

1928 electoral register, Hampstead (Kilbun Polling District/Ward)
3 Sherriff Road
Edward Priggen
Kathleen Priggen

Not there in 29.

Only Edward Priggen on the 1926 electoral register at 3 Sherriff Road.
Not sure if ancestry have 1927.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
I would not totally discount through having a 5/6 yr age gap, as Catherine would have 'possibly' needed to 'up' her age

Catherine Priggen would have to have "downed" her age to be yours.

From the age(s) given for Mrs Priggen, you would think that her first appearance on the electoral registers would have been in 1929 (when we first see females over 21, rather than just those over 30)

1928 electoral register, Hampstead (Kilbun Polling District/Ward)
3 Sherriff Road
Edward Priggen
Kathleen Priggen

Not there in 29.

Only Edward Priggen on the 1926 electoral register at 3 Sherriff Road.
Not sure if ancestry have 1927.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, my thinking on the age difference stems from her age on 1911 Irish Census given as 16, Im looking at her arriving in England sometime between 1911-1919, IF she arrived in London seeking work circa 1912 then my train of thought was it just might have been possible that she made herself out to be a few years older than she obviously was? (perhaps she didnt know her actual age ?)
IF this Catherine/Kathleen is our girl, then possibly she used the incorrect age through when giving later details...I know this is all hypothetical, and can only be confirmed by the details given on her marriage cert to Edward.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
Update, finally recieved the the Marriage details on the 1921 entry.
Edward Louis Priggen to Catherine Delaney, it stated that on 23 May 1921 at The register office St Marylbone.
 Edward aged 24, Batchelor,Scenic artist, address 113 Cleveland St, St Marleybone.
 Father: Edward George Priggen, a Teacher of Languages.

Catherine Delaney 21,Spinster, no occupation listed, address 113 Cleveland St Marlybone.
Father:Patrick Delaney, Jeweller (deceased)

Witness's: H Lowe, Daniel Mulkay (possibly Mulcahy?)

I had a look at the distance between the various address's listed on letters to Ireland from Catherine between 1919-21 in the London area and the address listed on the above marriage details they are not too far away, the nearest would be the Cadogan Sq address which is apprx 3 miles from 113 Cleveland St.
Obviously the fly in the ointement is  the fact that her Father name and occupation does not tie in with the Irish connection?...There is also a discrepenency  in her age of 5 yrs.

So taking all above into account I am presuming that the search for Catherine/Kitty Delaney goes on.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Yes Barryd, by all accounts all the address's linked to Catherine/Kitty were very affluent, this adds a bit of spice to the story of a young girl who arrived in England and basically disappeared.