Author Topic: Edward Homewood  (Read 1054 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edward Homewood
« on: Wednesday 01 July 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi I am hoping someone here might be able to help me locate a possible christening for my ancestor Edward Homewood.

Edward married Catherine Back at Canterbury St Margaret on 23 December 1697.

Edward and Catherine had 8 children who were born between 1698 and 1722. The first two children [both called Edward] were born in Kennington [the first Edward died after only 1 month] and the rest were all born in Boughton Aluph.

It's possible that Edward snr was from Kennington or Boughton Aluph but so far I haven't found any possible candidates.

Is anyone able to provide any suggestions or clues?

Many thanks for any help.

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Homewood
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
There is a Baptism for an Edward HONYWOOD ,Son of Wm and Anna , at St James the Great , Elmsted, on 21 July 1679. 
Worth Checking out. :)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
There is a Baptism for an Edward HONYWOOD ,Son of Wm and Anna , at St James the Great , Elmsted, on 21 July 1679. 

Hi

Many thanks. I had never thought of "Honywood" as a variation of the spelling of "Homewood" however if the m was badly written I can see "Honewood" getting misspelt as "Honywood" [or visa versa] and equally "Homywood" might have ended up written as "Homewood".

I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks again.
Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I did some digging into this tonight and there definitely seems to be a possible lead. I think I have taken this lot back three generations and interestingly there is a clear variation of the spelling which fits with my theory.

So far I have seen it as "Honiwood" [earliest], "Homiwood" [same period], "Honewood", "Honywood", HOMYWOOD", and "Homewood". I know that another variation is "Holmwood" as is "Homwood" so I'll keep an eye out for those.

I've just found a will on the National Archives' Discovery page for a "John Honywood" dated in the 1650s so I will see what that say as I have a feeling it might be Edward's grandfather.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I did some research into Edward Honywood [Honiwood] during 2021 and thought I was getting somewhere but lost my research notes earlier in 2022 so had to start again lol!

It's a good job I did start again though as now I don't believe these people are related to my Edward Homewood who married Catherine Back at Canterbury in 1697.

After doing some digging into this family on Ancestry, Findagrave, and the National Archives website it seems that Edward Honywood of Elmsted born 1679 was the son of Sir William Honywood [2nd Baronet of Evington]. However he seems to have died young as there is another Edward who was born in 1685 and died in 1724 in Elmsted, Kent. There is a picture of his memorial on the finagrave website and the inscription reads:

Here lieth interr’d the body of
EDWARD HONYWOOD Esq.
Youngest Son of
Sr. William Honywood Bartt.
Judge Advocate of his Majesty’s
Navy who died April 16th
1724 Aged 39 Years.
Also MARY his wife Eldest
Sister of Sr. Clement Wearg Knt.
his Majesty’s Sollicitor Generall
who died February ye 15th 1726
Aged 43 Years

So this Edward was married to a woman named Mary and not Catherine. Also my Edward was in Boughton Aluph in 1722 where his last son [John Homewood] was born.

So it looks like it's back to square one and I will have to look closer to Kennington and Boughton Aluph in 2023.