Author Topic: Mary McManus married to Francies (or James) Brady  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McManus married to Francies (or James) Brady
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 July 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
  I'm relatively new to searching - my James had said that he was born July 1, 1890 and this has been the only record I have managed to find referencing a July 1, 1890.

Did James celebrate his birthday? Are there any documents from his adult life which state his date of birth or age? Where did he spend his adult life?
Cowban

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 July 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Yes - he came to Canada between 1910 - 1920 and was a very private man.  He made his life in Canada and we know his wife and their children, etc.  He always said his birthdate was July 1, 1890 and his fathers name was John.  Having a look into the birth record I found stating that his birth was June 24, 1890 and birth registration July 1, 1890. It has been the only record I have found that stated July 1, 1890.  I also thought that perhaps July 1st was actually the day that he came to Canada as that is Canada Day.  I'm looking at all possibilities, including this one with the father of Francis as perhaps the fathers middle name was actually John.   Not 100% sure how many siblings he had, or their names.  He did state that he was placed in an orphanage - the only record I have found for Ireland was with an incorrect birthdate - 6 years out and I have actually been in touch with that family and pretty much ruled that out.  Other thought is that perhaps he was in an orphanage in Liverpool before coming to Canada.  his life is a true mystery pre-Canada.

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 July 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
He celebrated his birthday in Canada on July 1st.  There are no records that the family has regarding his actual birthday - only his marriage certificate that shows his fathers name as John, mother unknown.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 July 20 02:27 BST (UK) »
Does it actually say "mother unknown" or is there no provision for a mother's name?  What was James' occupation?  Why do you think he arrived after 1910?  Have you found him on the 1911 and 1921 census?

I can only see one James BRADY in the whole 1911 census who is around the right age and he claims to have been born in Quebec in May 1890.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1911&op=&img&id=e002091834

Also this one in 1921 who is a Loco Fireman and emigrated in 1908.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e002889553

Debra  :)

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 July 20 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi - thank you for the info...the family said that he came when he was around 18-19....he didn't discuss his family.  on his marriage certificate it shows father John Brady, mother Mrs. Brady.   No one seems to know what her name was.   The one who emigrated in 1908 was told old I'm afraid - he would have been born in 1877....the other one who says he was born in Canada also doesn't' work as everything that James did say, was that he was born in Ireland....

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 July 20 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - thank you for the info...the family said that he came when he was around 18-19....he didn't discuss his family.  on his marriage certificate it shows father John Brady, mother Mrs. Brady.   No one seems to know what her name was.   

everything that James did say, was that he was born in Ireland....

As he seemed not to know his mother's first name and as he stated his father's name was John, it doesn't look likely that he was the James Brady in Ballyconnell, son of Francis & Mary. That James Brady was with both parents on 1911 census. (Reply #8 Sinann) James was a young adult then (age 22 on census return) and would have known and remembered his parents' forenames, even if they didn't call each other by their first names.
If James couldn't remember his mother's first name, I think he was unlikely to have known her maiden surname either.
Did he mention any place in Ireland? 
Cowban

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 July 20 04:53 BST (UK) »
hi - good point.   Hmmm

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 July 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
In your previous thread here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740782.  you refer to him as James Joseph.
Did he call himself that on civil records? You also mention siblings, perhaps Dorothy? Is that information passed down from James?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 July 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for immigration records?
Irish Genealogy Toolkit is full of advice & sources. https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
Emigration is under Genealogy tab in menu. There's a page on Canadian immigration history and another about Canadian immigration records.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/canadian-immigration-records.html
Cowban