Author Topic: Mary McManus married to Francies (or James) Brady  (Read 1883 times)

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McManus married to Francies (or James) Brady
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 July 20 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  anyway to find out the middle name of Francis Brady?  I'm hoping its John!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 July 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
Irish people don't tend to use middle names, you seldom see them on baptism or birth Certs but they often acquire them when they go abroad.
The middle name they use maybe one they took for confirmation or just a family name.

You could look for Francis' marriage and baptisim.

I have a problem with the 1911 census, not the parents age, that difference is common, it's the number of children, it says 4 not 5. I count five James, Tommie, Mary Ellen (married) Lizzie (on 1901 and Mary Ellen's marriage cert) and Maggie. Hope I haven't sent you astray.

Edit I should have looked at the original 5 is crossed out, I wonder if Francis was married before and Mary Ellen isn't Mary's child, or the Enumerator interfered as only 4 of her children were there.

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 July 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm interesting, thank you for the info...I'm looking for a John Brady - so am hoping its one and the same.  Perhaps I'll find one of their other children in a family tree and be able to connect them

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 20 01:16 BST (UK) »

I have a problem with the 1911 census, not the parents age, that difference is common, it's the number of children, it says 4 not 5. I count five James, Tommie, Mary Ellen (married) Lizzie (on 1901 and Mary Ellen's marriage cert) and Maggie. Hope I haven't sent you astray.

Edit I should have looked at the original 5 is crossed out, I wonder if Francis was married before and Mary Ellen isn't Mary's child, or the Enumerator interfered as only 4 of her children were there.

I don't see a marriage between Francis Brady and Mary McManus on Irish Genealogy.ie Perhaps they married outside Ireland.
Informant on James' Brady's birth registration was Ellen McManus, (present at birth), probably a relative of Mary.
Why has the enquiry now been moved to the Limerick board?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for any information on a Mary McManus who was married to Francies (or James) Brady.  They had a son named James Brady born June 24th 1890.  Thank you.

Was Francis also called James or is that an error for John?
Cowban

Offline grandpasearch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 July 20 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm not seeing any marriage record either.    I'm not sure why the message got moved, I think someone moved it.    I am looking for a father named John or James Brady, son James Brady born 1890 July 1st...I am now looking to see if I can somehow find out the middle name of the Francis Brady.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 20 02:14 BST (UK) »

All 5 were children of the marriage of Francis Brady & Mary McManus. They may have been confused how to answer the question and thought it meant children living at home.
1884 Lizzie; 1888 Mary Ellen; 1890 James; 1894 Thomas; 1897 Margaret (born Dec.) All registered Bawnboy SR District, in Ballyconnell District.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 July 20 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for any information on a Mary McManus who was married to Francies (or James) Brady.  They had a son named James Brady born June 24th 1890.  Thank you.

Informant for birth registrations of James Brady and his 3 sisters was Ellen McManus, "present at birth". She was grandmother on Margaret's registration. Her address was Doon at Lizzie's birth 1884 and Ballyconnell at Margaret's 1897. There are a couple of possibilities for Ellen on 1901 & 1911 census; ages may not be accurate.
If Mary's age on 1911 census was correct, she was born before civil registration of births (1864). If age on 1901 census was correct, her birth may have been registered. Same goes for Francis.  :-\

I understand now why we're  on the Limerick board. Kiltaglasson reply #4 said Doon was in County Limerick. Sinnan pointed out that the placename occurs in several other counties. Heywood found James' birth registration in County Cavan. We need to up sticks from Co. Limerick and move to Cavan.
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
Is the presumption here that this is your James because of the birthdate and nothing else?
You have two factors: father’s name and birthdate. People are more likely to know their father’s name, although that can be invented in cases of illegitimacy or sometimes forgotten.
If your James was in an orphanage as a young child, this James does not look to be yours and searching his siblings is probably not productive.
Where did James marry? What occupation did he have on his marriage?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk