Author Topic: Diary - Wednesday 1st July  (Read 396 times)

Online Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary - Wednesday 1st July
« on: Wednesday 01 July 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
I'll start todays diary as feeling good today.   Have been going through clothes and have 2 black bags to go to the rubbish dump when allowed and a separate amount ready to go to the hospice shop when allowed.

The good news is that my sister found a bird bath, actually she found two.   Not as tall as she was hoping for (her husband says it's about 2/3rd's). Sent a photo asking which of the 2 I preferred - one was sort of a general one that you think of when you hear the words 'bird bath' and the more modern and has a kind of Japanese feel to me.   All three of us preferred the latter and that's the one we purchased.   I'm attaching a photo - hope it works.   It was half the price we were expecting to spend so now got to think of something else to go with it. 

Hope the hospice centre opens soon - besides the clothes I have 2 huge bags of jigsaws and books.

Now about to eat (salad with mini pork/apple pies followed by tiramisu).   Then to finalise my Asda delivery for Friday.

Hope you've all had a good day.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Wednesday 1st July
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 00:01 BST (UK) »
Very pleased to hear that you're feeling good Annette. Love the birdbath! It's really unusual, I agree it does have something Japanese about it. Perhaps you could get a Japanese Maple in a container to continue the theme.

My Diary:

Usual walk this morning, pleasantly warm, no jacket needed, sun was shining. Hadn't got far along the path in the woods when I saw a pile of dog poo at the side, horrible. People are usually pretty good at clearing up but I guess there's always one. Decided to follow the other end of the path round the corner where it joins the footpath and cycle path then you can go down a grassy slope back onto the field. There was a face mask in the undergrowth, must have been the day for disgusting people.

Back home, got the lawn rake out to rake the moss out of the front lawn where the weed and feed had done its work. Picked up some bits of litter that had blown between my shrubs and onto nice neighbour's drive (was wearing gloves). There was another face mask on their side, sorry but I wasn't going to pick that up. It must have blown there with other litter, I can't imagine why anyone would think it's okay to just chuck it away like that.
I had a hydrangea in a pot that I'd grown from a cutting, dug a hole to plant it next to the other shrubs and gave it a good watering. Did a bit of gardening in the back garden then inside for lunch and back out after. It started getting quite cloudy and looking like rain so came inside and phoned a friend. Did the last of the ironing, why do I keep washing all this stuff?!

Bits of one of my fillings came out the other day, hope I don't have any trouble with it. I know my dentist is doing emergencies but I'd rather not have the need.

Usual evening, nothing else to report.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
Annette- so pleased you've managed to find the bird bath you wanted and to have a choice too! I'm sure she'll be delighted with it. I'll bet the charity/hospice shops are going to be receiving plenty of goodies once they open and give lots of fresh choice for the public to buy... they will certainly need the funds having been closed for all these weeks.

My diary for today

Got woken by the telephone ringing... OH's golfing partner, he's up with the lark and thinks everyone else is too!
Looking at our rooter when I came downstairs hoping to see if it had 3 green lights ....as expected only two... meaning no internet...messaged daughter to tell her might not get through to speak to grandson...
Had breakfast.... three green lights yippee... tried to FT no reply, phoned no reply left a message... they were speaking to other granny she'd call when finished... fiddled around waiting... finally FT... wished him a happy birthday, he showed us his new bike... its got gears grandma he proudly says whilst riding round the kitchen and down the hallway!
They'd sorted out a lovely plan... presents to be opened in front of respected family so we join in the fun of seeing his face whilst dad took photos with us on iPad facing them... he seemed pleased with what we'd bought and he loved his skate board card and it got close examination! Then they all sat on the sofa with us next to then - virtually obviously and had family picture taken... can't wait to see how that turns out!
Daughter showed us his cake... a volcano erupting with a Komodo dragon on one side and a larva cricket on the other... she's such a clever girl with their cakes... they're hoping to meet friends in the park to share came... hope the rain keeps off for them...
They're going to have their hair cut next week although eldest thinks he might not as he wants to be a Rock star... already had his own electric guitar which he can play!
He'd spoken to his uncle in Oz ... who'd bought him 1000 piece jigsaw of ' where's Wally! Good luck with that! He's only 7 today too!
Well that brightened up our morning..... we've spent every birthday with him so far so little sad we weren't there in person but we all made the best of the situation and they seem to be getting used to talking to us via electronic devices... sad inditement of life today..
Weather was mixed today sun one minute, heavy rain the next... finished off last if face coverings and now have 86 ready... next some duvet scrubs for local carehome whilst waiting for the rainbow fabric to come for making tops for the hospital...
OH started his next jigsaw... still life... kept him quiet most of the day except when we played scrabble and he beat me by 1... spitting feathers I can tell you.... obviously my dream the other night of scrabble words did me no use whatsoever!
Dinner breaded pork chops with new pots and selection of veg
Had chat with dear friend... she's closed her montesorri nursery after many years and says she's glad she has as couldn't face all regulations to abide by now. Her daughter,jewellery maker, sent me a beautiful broach she'd made at my friends request as a thankyou for doing all the sewing for NHS I've been doing... what a lovely thing to do and I was very touched.. money she's raised went to NHS and Refuge.
Watched final episode of Hillary Clinton and second part of new Perry Mason... not like the old ones that's for sure!

Well that's all my excitement for today...oh apart from the three green woodpeckers on the lawn this morning... adult and two youngsters... tried to get a photo but couldn't get near enough without frightening then sadly... boys would have loved that... never mind... second time in two days I've seen them so I'll try and be better prepared next time!

Hope others have had a good day

Caroline

PS - we posted at the same time Roobarb - people are unbelievable with what rubbish they leave littered around... quite awful.
Glad you've had a good day in your garden... should really get out in to ours... hope your filling doesn't cause you any problems... we were due for check ups on Monday had a text from to say would I ring for new appointment and when I did said they weren't taking any at the moment coukd I ring back in August 😱... not that I was feeling comfortable about going anywY!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
Annette, good news the birthday bird bath problem is sorted.  I think I would celebrate the bargain price and be grateful, without adding further gifts, though I do like Roobarb's idea.
Roobarb you sound like you are getting on top of things again with your "usual walk", well done, and fantastic you have grown hydrangea from a cutting. That is not easy.  I do hope you get better service with your teeth than I have had.
Caroline I envy the birthday celebration with your grandson.  Although I do call Oz and sometimes presents are still waiting to be opened, it is all over very quickly as there are so many calls waiting, and I do feel desperately isolated from them.  But then I remember how lucky I am to have social media contact and try to be satisfied.  When the ships sailed away in past times one would be very lucky to maintain a steady communication, and everything that did get through would be months out of date.  (Still trying to be a perfect Pollyanna!!  ;) )

Diary:
Another cool and grey morning with off shore winds. 
Wandering around half dressed while H in the shower, there was a buzz on the door entry system saying H had a delivery, a new book he had grabbed half price. Fortunately I put my jeans on before going down to retrieve it as the youngsters from the flat above came out seconds after I did, and I fear they would have been very put out to trap me in the entry hall wearing little more than a long-ish T shirt!!  :P
Composed a list of reasons why the agent needs to inspect external painting works before releasing payment.
My birthday parcel arrived from Oz which was a pleasant surprise. Featuring plural platypus (platypie? platypussies?) and a dolls house sized robin. I can't imagine how the girls managed to persuade their mum to buy that for me! It has been strategically placed for when they ask to see where l put it.  :D
After lunch we took a brisk walk along the front before H gave an on-line tuition session, and l sat and read for a while.
Went out for a longer walk after tea, along the esplanade past the pier. It had turned into a lovely evening, and we noticed the big ships which have been at anchor for so long have all gone. Checking on line it seems the cruise ships are now bound for Southampton.
Noted that a house martin's nest which had been busy seems quiet now, and that there is a large pile of droppings below, (euk) indicating a brood successfully reared and fledged....  :-\ I hope.
Watched Repair Shop on TV. I do love that programme, such skilled and empathic people.

Enjoy today if you can.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
When the ships sailed away in past times one would be very lucky to maintain a steady communication, and everything that did get through would be months out of date.

My parents emigrated with me in tow in the 1950s.  I had ongoing correspondence, an aerogramme once a fortnight to my grandmother until she died when I was 16.  She did come out for a 1 yr stay. When I was 5, and we were in England for 18 months a year or two later, but other than that, it was just letters. I think I had a better relationship with her than my cousins who saw her regularly.

So donít despair MH.  Just keep plugging away.
currently concentrating on a number of Staffordshire families.

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
When the ships sailed away in past times one would be very lucky to maintain a steady communication, and everything that did get through would be months out of date.

My parents emigrated with me in tow in the 1950s.  I had ongoing correspondence, an aerogramme once a fortnight to my grandmother until she died when I was 16.  She did come out for a 1 yr stay. When I was 5, and we were in England for 18 months a year or two later, but other than that, it was just letters. I think I had a better relationship with her than my cousins who saw her regularly.

So donít despair MH.  Just keep plugging away.
Fair comment, though l was thinking a bit more historic than that. 😊
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.