Author Topic: Jones, Morgan, Phillips, c. 1790  (Read 378 times)

Offline Sasss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones, Morgan, Phillips, c. 1790
« on: Wednesday 01 July 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information on David Jones, Sarah Morgan and William Phillips, which I understand are among the most common names in Wales.

My clue to start in Carmarthen is that George Westinghouse Jones, first cousin of the famous American inventor George Westinghouse, named his home in Schenectady, New York, "Caermarthen" in honour of the ancestry of his second wife, Sarah Phillips, and himself, since his grandparents and Sarah's great grandparents were the same:
David Jones, b. 1792 and Sarah Morgan, b. 1794.

Their eldest child, William Morgan Jones, was born in 1821 in New York, so it's logical to assume that David and Sarah married and emigrated from Wales sometime around 1810-1820. Their other children's names were Jonah, David M., Margaret and Sarah R.

The only other clue I have to their identity is that Sarah Morgan's mother was named Margaret, b. 1768. In 1850 she was living with her daughter and son-in-law in New York.

Sarah Phillips' great grandfather, William Phillips, was born somewhere in Wales in 1789. He spent several decades working as a linen merchant near Belfast before immigrating to Canada in 1847.

I don't know where to start, so I'd be grateful for any help with my quest.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones, Morgan, Phillips, c. 1790
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
is this the 1850 census you mean?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCT8-74V

The David & Sarah here have Massachusetts for place of birth.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb