Author Topic: Michael Coffee - Inquest Pontypool 12 August 1876  (Read 743 times)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Coffee - Inquest Pontypool 12 August 1876
« on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help with this request.  My husband's great grandfather was Michael Coffee.  He was born in Ireland about 1841-1843.  His father was Cornelius Coffee.  On 22 December 1866 he married Honora Murphy in Crickhowell. 

0n 4 August 1876, 34 year old Michael Coffee was found drowned in the Monmouthshire Canal and an inquest was held in Llangibby, Pontypool. 

I am trying to find out if this is the same Michael Coffee.  I haven't been able to find a newspaper report.  Any help would be appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Coffee - Inquest Pontypool 12 August 1876
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
Can't see it being anybody else.  He was the only Michael Coffee in Wales in 1871 and was living in Monmouthshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
I agree it seems more than likely it was him.  I was thinking the inquest would provide details of next of kin which would confirm it beyond doubt.

There was another Michael Coffee who died in Merthyr Tydfil in 1874 but the wife and address are wrong.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
The Michael Coffee who died June qtr 1874 was living in Merthyr in 1871 which is Glamorgan.  He was b 1839 and was married to Julia.  Mistranscribed as Mickel Coffey

The Michael Coffee in Monmouthshire married to Honorah was b 1845

Your Michael drowned in Monmouthshire

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Carole.

Also, I'm having no luck in tracing Michael's father Cornelius.  All I know about him is that he was born in Ireland and was a Husbandman.  According to Michael's Marriage Certificate in 1866, Cornelius was deceased.  I can't find him in any censuses in Monmouthshire, where Michael was, and have no idea if he even left Ireland.  Any ideas how I could trace him?

Thanks,
Susan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
It's very possible he never left Ireland.  He was probably born between 1800-1822 but nothing on Family Search or on the Irish 1831-51 censuses.  The surname seems to be spelt as Coffey more than Coffee

www.familysearch.org

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
There must be some surviving coroners records for Monmouthshire, but the Gwent Archives website is not helpful (not to me anyway!)
H. M. Coroners of Monmouthshire, Coroners' Inquest Files
1866-1883
https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/beed06bf-7c56-32b5-98cb-aeeea075a228

Looks like there were two sons born in the 1870's to Michael and Honora.
In the 1891 census the Coffees can be found (but not all together), but what about Honora and family in 1881? :-\

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon

I also found the Gwent Archives website confusing.  I have emailed them to see if they can provide any information.  I am in London so can't get there easily.

I haven't been able to find the 1881 census record for Honora and her family in Monmouthshire.

Honora was born c 1845 in Tredegar.  Her father was Thomas Murphy a Husbandman of Tredegar, The only record I can find for him is the 1851 census.  He was Irish.  Hanora's name was recorded as Hannarh. 

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 20 21:23 BST (UK) »

Gwent Archives have said no Inquest records before 1960 have survived but that the inquest may have been reported in the Pontypool Free Press or South Wales Argus.  I am too far away to visit - and Gwent Achives isn't open yet anyway - but I wonder if someone lives nearby whether they might be able to visit when they are open and have a look for me.

Thanks.