Author Topic: Has anyone used a car wash?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Has anyone used a car wash?
« on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
We've not used our car very much since March  but it's got quit dirty - weather/traffic, etc. and it needs a thorough clean. Rather than spend ages doing it by hand, we were thinking of going to our usual car wash.

Given the water spray, etc. in an automatic car wash, I was wondering if it would be safe to use.

Any thoughts?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used a car wash?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
I stay in my car as it goes through the car wash.  If your car wash is covered over by a roof etc & you choose to stay out of the car there shouldn't be any spray. 

Why do you feel it may be unsafe as it's only water plus the shampoo?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
Just wondering Carole. Cars aren't fully watertight and the spray/drier can carry droplets.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just wondering Carole. Cars aren't fully watertight and the spray/drier can carry droplets.

If it is an automatic one you'll be using then I'd have thought the amount of detergent in use would reduce the risk to virtually zero.  It might depend though on the exact type/model of wash and how well it is maintained.

I wouldn't be tempted to use a manual car wash under any circumstances, even if they had been allowed to start working again.

If the car is really dirty (from non use) then personally I'd put in the effort to wash it at home. The automatic machines are designed to remove 'normal' levels of dirt in 'normal' circumstances. With a car that hasn't been used much and left in hot weather, some of the dirt (grit) will be adhering to the paintwork more firmly than is normal.

The best way of dealing with that is to soak the car all over a couple of times (leaving a bit of time each time to allow the detergent to soak in and work) before applying any 'mechanical' dirt removal (aka rubbing). After that, wash using extra detergent in the bucket and go easy with the rubbing. Otherwise you'll be using the dirt like sandpaper.

The automatic car washes won't take so much care - they are designed to do a job as quickly as possible.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 22:48 BST (UK) »
Just make absolutely sure windows are truly closed!
The apparatus is pretty brutal, and if the car is very dirty and gritty I honestly think it gets minute scratches as the grit is for a short time in the lashing
soft bristles.

Anything a bit loose can be looser after the wash.!
Mirrors etc need to be folded  in .

It is handy but people who are car fanatics would not use the car wash.
Viktoria.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 23:28 BST (UK) »
Oh Nick and Viktoria - you two do make me laugh. I've probably hand washed cars more often than either of you,  but thank you for your comments.

I was really asking if there were any dangers of transmission of the virus by automatic car washes rather than washing cars in general.

;D ;D

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
I was really asking if there were any dangers of transmission of the virus by automatic car washes rather than washing cars in general.

Which I answered in my first paragraph.  :-* 

Before expanding the point that even if it was zero-risk I'd still not do it myself (for the stated reasons)  ;)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 23:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry - but it would never even occur to me that there was any risk of infection from an automatic car wash. 

Also - if I thought for one minute that my car was not fully watertight - the last thing I would use would be an automatic car wash given the force & direction of water etc. 

If your car does have a leakage problem then giving it a manual wash & using a hose etc is surely going to create seepage

Unless I am missing something - how can water & detergent be a possible health hazard - even in spray form? 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 23:57 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if it was safe*. I have a perfectly good car.

* for example, have there been any reports, etc. about them?