Author Topic: Has anyone used a car wash?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used a car wash?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
The next time it rains, put on your swimsuit and go out and swab down your car.

This reminds me of the one time I went to a car wash, about 40 years ago.  It was mid-winter and cold, about 9 pm.  The dog came in and she had tangled with a skunk.  We couldn't make her sleep outside and we had to decontaminate her some how.  Tomato juice is the recommended treatment in these cases.  So we loaded her into the jeep, bought several gallons of tomato juice and took her to the car wash where we turned the hot jets on her, then saturated her with the juice.  It was somewhat effective but not 100%.  Back home, we built a blaze in the fireplace and put her bed right next to it so she could dry off.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Nick - the PIN scenario is a good thought.

When I thought of it the next thought I had was how it would be quite possible to spend hours thinking and worrying about all the very unlikely scenarios, and miss the blindingly obvious.  ;)

I notice that supermarkets etc sanitise the credit card keypads after purchases that are not contactless

I still have a traditional key for my car, albeit with a flat end, a bit like a lollipop stick.  My car key now doubles up as a PIN entry device when necessary. I've never needed to touch that end of the key, and the only thing it ever comes into contact with is the car ignition switch. One less thing to worry about.  :)

guest189040

« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
The detergent used in a car wash should act in the same way as a hand sanitiser.

Soap breaks down the structure of CV19.

If you have a quality car check the handbook as it may well have an high efficiency filter fitted to the air intake and this will minimise ingress of any virus.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
When our old dog used to come in after rolling is sheep droppings, we'd get the hose or take him down to the loch.  Like car washes, we'd then give him a blow dry (or a towel )

I'll get the sponge and a bucket for the car.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 July 20 10:21 BST (UK) »

As we are in the North East, I'm guessing it might be precipitating where you are as it is here!
Stick your wellies and waterproofs on and use natures water and your sponge........😁
North East of England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 July 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
We seem to have missed most of it, CF. It rained overnight!

The weather charts often show the rain clouds divide as they approach Blaydon  ;D ;D ;D

Add -

https://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/ford-blog/how-to-keep-your-car-hygienic

(the car washes near me  are of two types, one that has a person who sprays the wheels and windows with detergent  and takes your money  before you enter, and one where you have to get out of your car to enter a code from a pre-purchased ticket into a machine that is about 2m from the car)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 July 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
When our old dog used to come in after rolling is sheep droppings, we'd get the hose or take him down to the loch.  Like car washes, we'd then give him a blow dry (or a towel )

Our old collie usually found fox poo ...... 'nough said!.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
been a car owner for many a year - I have never either taken my car through the car wash nor washed it manually.

Car washing - the most pointless activity ever!