Author Topic: Completed - Births in New York, New York  (Read 476 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Completed - Births in New York, New York
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 04:53 BST (UK) »
In every census British census 1881 to 1911 the birthplace of one William Albert James is given as USA. In 1881 Brooklyn, New York is specified. Each census consistently gives 1875 as his birth year. He died in 1915, living with his parents in Woolwich, and that record also gives 1875 as his birth year.

Is there a reliable record on line I can search to locate his New York birth certificate?

His parents are Josiah Richard William James and Sarah, both born in Woolwich (based on the four census records), I've not yet seen a record of their marriage (the 1911 census suggests that it was in 1870)

Sarah at least is back in England for 1877 which is when the elder of his sisters is born.

Any suggestions for where I might look are most welcome.
Thank you.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Births in New York, New York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 05:08 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1680842   Has data base

New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962

But, he is hiding.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 05:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I'd already been to those records, and yes hiding.
I thought I'd ask because I don't have recourse to US records that often and others might know a trick or two.

I have now found his parents marriage. The GRO search on his sisters births gives his mother's maiden name as James. There is a Hampshire marriage in 1872, the groom uses all three of his given names.

Again, thanks for looking
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
I didn't find him here either:
https://italiangen.org/search-databases-2/?db=all

---
I wonder if there are any birth records for Brooklyn for that time period. The NYC archives says their records have been indexed by the Italian Genealogy Group, which is where I searched.
archive site: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/records/historical-records/genealogy.page

and the Group's page says this about Brooklyn:
Brooklyn:
Flatbush 1847-1851, 1881-1895
https://italiangen.org/search-databases-2/?db=bkqubirths

so ... as I said, I don't know ... 

The archives would know for sure, if you want to contact them.

Another possibility is if there was a birth announcement in a Brooklyn paper.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1898, Brooklyn wasn't part of NYC, so it would have been part of New York state for vital registration purposes then.  New York state didn't require statewide vital registration until 1881, so that would have been after your guy was born.  Before that, vital registration was sporadic at best.  Sometimes baptisms can be found, but beyond that, there is probably no record. 

There are some Brooklyn papers here - https://bklyn.newspapers.com/ or at www.fultonhistory.com.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for looking.
I will follow the links, but I may draw a line under this one (he's a side branch and died unmarried without issue, I found the probate for his will, giving a known address and his father's full name). I'm also stymied becasue it is too early for a ship's manifest.

Again, thank you for giving it your consideration
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,