Author Topic: Qualification date for 1918 electoral roll in England  (Read 375 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Qualification date for 1918 electoral roll in England
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a woman who appears in a 1918 electoral roll, when she would have been 35+ years old.

My query is about when this register would have been compiled, as this would help pinpoint the earliest recorded date at that address.

The first page of the roll states 1918, with no mention of spring or autumn, so I assume only one was produced this year.

I know there was no register in 1916 and 1917, and that the 1918 Act that allowed more people to vote was passed in parliament in June 1917, but not sure when it received royal assent.  Registers in later years were compiled in July of the previous year, so would that be the case for 1918?

The 1918 election was not until Dec 1918, so that is another reason for wondering exactly when this register was compiled, although I suppose the election date has little bearing on compiling the registers - they have to be ready for any eventuality.

There is a good website about electoral registers, but it is a little woolly about when the 1918 one was compiled: https://electoralregisters.org.uk/codes

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Qualification date for 1918 electoral roll in England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
According to newspaper reports the forms were sent out in April 1918 and the lists had to be completed and published by June 15th 1918.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that was quick, stanmapstone.  I didn't think to look at the newspaper archive. 

I take it you mean April 1918, as the act hadn't been voted on in Apr 1917?  Just checking!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have clarified my post  :)
It was called the Representation of the People Act 1918. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1918/64/enacted
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks once more Stan - of great help.
Crook, Bannister, Warren