Author Topic: Adam Sutherland died Edinburgh 1817, born .. ??  (Read 650 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Sutherland died Edinburgh 1817, born .. ??
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

My 5xGG Adam Sutherland died 17th May 1817 at Leith South, Edinburgh. Age given on record was 69yo. On his death record it says - 'Adam Sutherland, Porter from the House of James Grant, Comb Maker, Baillie, Fyfes Close, Died of a Decline. Buried the side of the Grave one Yard South from Ainslie's Tomb Door. Aged 69'.

I know from his daugther's death record in 1860 that his spouses name was Janet - Maiden name unknown. But I have found a record for a Janet McDonald passing in 1806, aged 56. 'Jannet McDonald spouse of Adam Sutherland Porter from his house N. Gray's Close died of a Decline of Nature buried 3yds N. of ... Age 56'.

So that fits.

But I can't find the marriage for Adam & Janet, nor can I find baptismal records for any of their children. (I only for sure know of one child, Elizabeth/Betsy born c.1784 at Canongate according to census returns).

There are also only 3 baptismal records for Adam Sutherlands born/recorded between 1735 and 1755.
SUTHERLAND
ADAM
HUGH SUTHERLAND/
M
22/06/1744
Golspie

SUTHERLAND
ADAM
JAMES SUTHERLAND/
M
16/12/1750
South Ronaldsay and Burray

SUTHERLAND
ADAM
JOHN SUTHERLAND/ANN SINCLAIR FR243 (FR243)
M
25/02/1750
Dunrossness, Sandwick and Cunningsb

All 3 places are very far away from Edinburgh, Golspie being the closest. Would it have been likely at this time for Adam/Janet to have relocated this far south? I understand that Adam's baptism may simply have not been recorded but I want to check all avenues.

If anyone can offer advice I'd be very grateful

Thanks!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Sutherland died Edinburgh 1817, born .. ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi kjmck

Wondering whether this is daughter Betty's marriage index entry www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT12-16Y

Possible other children's marriages in Canongate around the same time with father also named as Adam:

Margaret www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1P-LR9
Helen www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1G-P9Q

There is normally an occupation added for father in these parish entries (where father is named).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
There is this death on SP:

Helen WOODCOCK/SUTHERLAND
Age 72
Mother's maiden name GUNN
402/ 23
Anstruther Easter

I noticed there was a Barbara Gunn also married to an Adam Sutherland with children born around the same time in the St Cuthbert's area of Edinburgh so may not connect to your line.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 06:49 BST (UK) »
The North Isles were connected to Leith so not unusual. My own folk ended up in Leith, the "Promised Land!"  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for your replies. I didn't realise the marriage records on FamilySearch included the name of the brides father. I have looked on SP and have been able with your help to confirm 4 other daughters for Adam - Margaret c.1779-1839 (wife of James Grant whom Adam was living with), Charlotte b. ? - d. ? (wife of John Smith, had 5 children), Ann (Feb.1794 - January 1796), & Helen (wife of Thomas Widcock).

Unfortuntely as of yet, apart from Margaret, I can't find what became of the other children. I think there was another child, Adam.

Charlotte doesn't seem to me so common a name, in Scotland at the time so perhaps a carried on name of sorts. I'm interested to see how much I can find of my Sutherland line now  ;D

MonicaL - The death for Helen Woodstock is from a different Sutherland/Gunn pairing, I checked.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise the marriage records on FamilySearch included the name of the brides father.
They only include the name of the bride's father if the original record includes it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.