Author Topic: The Nicholson Family of New Building and Ardmore.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Nicholson Family of New Building and Ardmore.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 July 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Note: these may refer to more than one architect named William Nicholson-

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 25 June 1859: ... occasion. The edifice is ... the Gothic style of architecture, of the early English period, from designs by Mr. William Nicholson, architect, of this city.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 24 Mar.1884: LOCAL BOARD ELECTIONS. ... Mr. William Nicholson, architect, 130, Lloyd-street, Greenheys [?]...

Manchester Evening News, 31 Oct.1882: ... William Nicholson, architect and surveyor, 35, Portland Crescent, Chorltonon-Medlock...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 July 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
According to 1881 census William Nicholson, aged 50 years (c1831), was born in Derry & son James, aged 28 years (c1853), was born Manchester-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27G-1Y7Z

Offline caitlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 July 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
I have found a reference to a William Nicholson, Born Co.Derry 1830, and moved to Manchester around 1851/2. Initially he was listed as a Civil engineer, but by 1853 he had added the profession of Architect. I wonder if he is the father to my James William Frederic Nicholson.
We also have an Edward Nicholson, are they brothers. He was Born Ireland 1806, moved to Manchester where he also worked as an Architect. He was I believe the owner of Beech hill.
The date you have found for William in the 1881 census seems to fit. Does it name the place where he was born? There are a lot of Nicholson Place, street names in the city of Derry.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 July 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
The date you have found for William in the 1881 census seems to fit. Does it name the place where he was born?
Did you not look at the link I posted? it says William was born Derry.

There are a lot of Nicholson Place, street names in the city of Derry.
I don't understand what you mean.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 July 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Edward Nicholson, architect, Manchester, looks to have practiced there so not sure why be would have bought Beech Hill-
https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/architects/edward-nicholson
William Nicholson-
https://manchestervictorianarchitects.org.uk/architects/william-nicholson

Offline caitlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 July 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, getting a bit muddled. I have a reference which says that an Edward Nicholson, from the wealthy Nicholsons of New Buildings bought Beech Hill  House in 1875, this is also included in a break down of his will, in 1884. Which states that the late Edward Nicholson, formerly of  the city of Manchester, but late of Beech Hill house. According to a bio of Edward his last place of residence in Manchester finished in 1879. I know now that New buildings is a part of Derry, but was it considered such then? The dates for William being born in Ireland in 1830 would appear to fit into the chronology, I hope meaning that, although there is quite an age gap between them that he and Edward were brothers. On googling the name Nicholson, there appears a lot of streets, etc called Nicholson. I don't know how common the name of Nicholson is in Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 July 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
JWF was born in England (not Derry)- birth registered Jan./Mar.1853 quarter in Salford district (mother's maiden name Hodson).
Possible marriage- William Nicholson and Elizabeth Margaret Hodson on same page- April/June quarter 1852. The marriage will list William's occupation and should also confirm his father's name and occupation. The witnesses might be useful if they were relatives.
In the 1871 census William Nicholson has several older siblings in the household- following them should help fill out family tree and help confirm link to Derry or Edward Nicholson, architect.

Offline caitlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 July 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you will follow that up.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 July 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
A few bits I found yesterday when searching which might be useful-

Sarah Nicholson (c1829/c1825 Ire.-1911 Beech Hill)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05388/4504071.pdf
In at least one census she is listed as sister of Edward Nicholson, If this is the case perhaps half-sister? Certainly much closer in age to William Nicholson (architect) and his siblings.

Edward Nicholson & wife Margaret-
Derry Journal, 24 Dec.1883: Death of Mr. Edward Nicholson, J.P., Derry. —This gentleman died at his residence, Beech Hill on Thursday morning. The deceased was a native of that of that district, and had in early life gone Manchester, where ...
Derry Journal, 17 Feb.1892: Nicholson —February 15, at Beech Hill, Margaret, relict of the late Edward Nicholson. Will be buried Ardmore Catholic Burial-ground on Friday, 19th inst., at eleven o’clock.

Can't remember if this was posted earlier.
1851 Census (Edward Nicholson)- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGYC-7YT

Edward's son Richard Alfred Nicholson died 2 Dec.1889. His daughter-
Cork Constitution, 13 Feb.1894: ... Rev. Father Croskell, Thomas Francis Malian, Ardmore, county Derry, to Edith Mary, daughter of the late Richard Nicholson, of High Bank, bandiway[?], Altrincham. Cheshire, and granddaughter the late Edward Nicholson, JP, of Beech Hill, county Derry. 

Edward's daughter Mary Birch Nicholson-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05611/4577896.pdf
Weekly Irish Times, 19 Nov.1904: NICHOLSON—November 12, Beech Hill, Londonderry, Mary Birch, only daughter the late Edward Nicholson. R.I.P.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639426054