Author Topic: Map of Southall from 1890s  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Map of Southall from 1890s
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Anyone know where I might find a map of Southall from the 1890s? Have looked online (google etc) but nothing so far.

I'm trying to find a Mrs Vaughan listed in the column 'address of relatives or friends' as aunt, Lodging House, Barrett's Court in an admission and discharge record of Southall poor law school. Without any address after Barrett's Court I am assuming it was local. The child, Walter Simmonds, was admitted on 19 March 1887, discharged to the workhouse on 11 January 1892 and then on to Canada as a home child in the March. Trying to trace his family, for a friend. I haven't been able to locate a likely Mrs Vaughan in the 1891 census so was hoping to find out where Barrett's Court was, in case that might help.

He was registered as Walter Simmons, St Giles (vol 01B, page 579), mother Ball, in September quarter 1874, and baptised as Walter Simmonds, on 30 Aug 1874 at St Giles in the Fields, son of Thomas (porter) and Mary Ann Simmonds, of 41 Great Wild Street. He had older siblings Ann (1863-?), John (1865-1865), James (1868-1941) and Emma (1871-1882). Thomas, Mary Ann, Ann, James and Walter are at 8 Grays Buildings, Rectory, Marylebone in 1881 (Class: RG11; Piece: 143; Folio: 101; Page: 45), along with a 'niece' Sarah Childs (born Marylebone, 1850). She appeared to be the logical aunt, though is actually a cousin to Walter; her mother was Ann Ball, Mary Ann's eldest sister, but I've not been able to find a marriage for her, let alone to a Vaughan.

We are waiting to order certificates because of the covid19 situation, but believe his mother Mary Ann died between 1881 and 1891 (possibly registered in Pancras in March quarter 1886); his father Thomas (born Norfolk between 1832 and 1839 - father William a tailor according to his marriage) was a patient, widowed, at the St Marylebone infirmary in 1891, and possibly in the Kensington workhouse in 1901 (though age is out and he was a market gardener, but widowed, born Norfolk). There's a possible death in Kensington in March quarter 1903 (vol 01A, page 6).

Any help in identifying Mrs Vaughan, lodging house, Barrett's Court would be welcome, as would comments on whether or not this is likely to be a 'real' aunt.

Apologies for the long post; this has been my first foray into London records and has been quite a challenge; sad, but ultimately successful in finding his previously unknown birth and baptism records, parents and family. My friend has his Barnardo's papers and a photo, but that was all we had to go on a week ago.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Map of Southall from 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Does the information specify that Barretts Court is in Southall.
There is one in Marylebone in 1870s/80s according to electoral registers.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
Information re Barretts Court, Marylebone - just in case
https://aubaine.co.uk/st-christophers-palace/

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, it just says' Lodging House, Barrett's Court' - I was assuming it was local as there was no town given afterwards. But the Marylebone one sounds promising. I did try an address search on FindMyPast but that found nothing.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
Information re Barretts Court, Marylebone - just in case
https://aubaine.co.uk/st-christophers-palace/

Thanks, that's fascinating. Sadly sounds much like the area where poor Walter was born (I have learned a lot about London in the last week!). Great Wild St was demolished for the building of one of the Peabody estates, which opened in Wild St / Drury Lane in 1881.

My google search took me to Tyburn Street mentioned in the article.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 20 19:06 BST (UK) »

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 20 19:09 BST (UK) »
I found this man - James Nugent in electoral registers and he is there in 1881 144/ 54/ 48
You can look back and forth.

She may just have been lodging there temporarily of course

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 20 19:13 BST (UK) »
I found this man - James Nugent in electoral registers and he is there in 1881 144/ 54/ 48
You can look back and forth.

She may just have been lodging there temporarily of course

The UCL blog says it changed to St Christopher's Palace sometime in the 1890s - maybe why I can't find it as an address on FindMyPast. Just scrolling through the census from Barrett Street to see if I can find it that way.

Are the electoral registers on ancestry or FindMyPast?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 July 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
The ones I have are Ancestry but I found that Barretts Court was in Marylebone on FindMyPast index.