Author Topic: Old Polling Registers  (Read 918 times)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Old Polling Registers
« on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
I am searching for my great-grandmother Sarah Mather b.1853 Queens County, Ireland.  I believe she went to live with one of her children in Reddish after her husband William Mather died in 1925.  She had 6 possible children that she could have been living with - William Henry Mather b.1874, Henry E Mather b.1876, Robert Mather b.1879, William Mather b.1881, Thomas M Mather b.1884, Maria Mather b.1890 and Frederick Mather b.1893. 
I have an address of 21 Lonsdale Avenue, Reddish, Lancs on 1911 Census but I'm looking in the years probably after 1925 to 1936.
If anyone has access to any Polling Registers she may be named on one.  Any help appreciated.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Old Polling Registers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
Reddish came under Cheshire - Stockport RD - from 1901 but they are in the Manchester RD in 1911.  Their address is out of sequence compared to the images either side of them and their image shows Manchester Ancoats

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/stockport.html

As far as I know - neither Cheshire nor Manchester electoral registers are available online for that period so you would need an address for any search at the records office
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Please bear in mind that women weren't given the vote until 1928, although some got the vote in 1919 (those with property, I believe).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
Following on from KGarrrad, if she was living in the household of one of her children, she wouldn't have been eligible to vote until 1928.
Cowban

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all 3 who replied.  It looks like I'm coming to another dead end in my search for great-gran!!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
Is she on the 1939 National Register?

There are 4 people called Sarah Mather:
2 in Bolton
1 in Whitefield
and 1 in Runcorn
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Haven't looked that far but I think she was dead by then.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Re the 1911 census I do not think it is out of sequence. The Reddish address is for the man who wrote the census sheet on behalf of William Mather. Ancestry have given the wrong address on their transcription. If you are using Ancestry scroll on to the next image which shows the correct address.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
The man who filled in the Census form for William and Sarah was Frederick Gleave my grandfather husband of Sarah Jane Mather.  The address they lived at was 53 Elizabeth Street, Cheetham or visa versa.